Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Quirks

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    As someone who who's got a pipe on the go most of the time, never thought about quirks.
    Like most have mentioned pipes are enjoyed most when quiet & on your own. I suppose my quirk is smoking in the bath.
    I consider it more of a luxurious extravagance though, as it doesn't happen very often. Lol. When it does though it's always with a churchwarden & a very strong blend, marvellous!

@brooklynbill, never heard the expression 'chincey' before. I like it!
    A pipe in the bath? I envy you my friend! Thatís what dreams are made of!

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Oh yes, I use rubber tippies too. Didn't think of it as a quirk though.
    Yeah, I use them also, I just can't stand the feel of any stem material in between my teeth, that and I hate bite marks.
    Although I don't clench, the seconds it's between my teeth I can really rip a stem up........fangs and a chipped tooth.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

That's me all over too Ron. I've ruined a few stems and gotten rid of many a pipe because of it. And now I'm adjusting to a brand new full upper which does not treat the stems any better than the remnants of my hockey teeth.
    The best teachers tell you where to look but not what to see.

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This thread has been a fantastic read. I can relate to so much I've read. At home there's usually a tea or coffee and at work I DGT a lot, usually because I have to get in a vehicle.
    I could relate to Herb a lot. As an ex smoker I still have the habit of not wanting to carry to much stuff around or spend a lot of time preparing a smoke. It's usually ready rubbed or if it is a flake I've rubbed out a substantial amount of tobacco the night before. The other thing that I do which I know will annoy the real pipe men amongst us is that I smoke the living daylights out of a pipe before I clean it. At the moment I'm smoking an olive wood falcon coolway and have been since Tuesday at the rate of about 1/2 a dozen bowls/day.
    That's my guilty secret confessed.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I agree...this is a great thread. After reading all of the posts so far, I don't know if I'm a quirky or normal pipe smoker!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    This thread has been a fantastic read. I can relate to so much I've read. At home there's usually a tea or coffee and at work I DGT a lot, usually because I have to get in a vehicle.
    I could relate to Herb a lot. As an ex smoker I still have the habit of not wanting to carry to much stuff around or spend a lot of time preparing a smoke. It's usually ready rubbed or if it is a flake I've rubbed out a substantial amount of tobacco the night before. The other thing that I do which I know will annoy the real pipe men amongst us is that I smoke the living daylights out of a pipe before I clean it. At the moment I'm smoking an olive wood falcon coolway and have been since Tuesday at the rate of about 1/2 a dozen bowls/day.
    That's my guilty secret confessed.
    I don't think your cleaning habits will annoy real pipe men, Shaun. After all, weren't the real pipe men of old those guys who had maybe one or two pipes they smoked all day, every day? It might annoy collectors who like to buy pretty, barely smoked estate pipes when we're gone, but we aren't smoking for their benefit, are we? A real pipe man knows when his pipe needs a cleaning and a rest, and it isn't always after a day's smoking. Heck, I have a Bari that's dedicated to Exotique that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned since... jeez, I don't remember. Its airway is probably filthy, but the ghost enhances the next bowl.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    I agree...this is a great thread. After reading all of the posts so far, I don't know if I'm a quirky or normal pipe smoker!
    Let's face it, Russ, we pipe smokers are the only ones who think we might be normal. The rest of the world thinks we're all quirky.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This made me laugh because it is really true. When I chose the word quirky I wasn't really thinking about what the non believers thought of us.

And yes I had one first pipe for about three years until I was gifted a second one. Cleaning haha!
    The best teachers tell you where to look but not what to see.

I actually still have some pipes that I smoke regularly that I bought in February of 2010 that I still havenít cleaned thoroughly. I just stick one or two pipe cleaners through during and after I smoke one and thatís been enough. The pipes have not turned sour, however, they are very well seasoned and they smoke effortlessly. Iím now making a point to see how long I can go with those Pipes before they turn ďsourĒ.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    In this neck of the woods quirky IS normal.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast