Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoking Quirks

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The only quirk I have is to always smoke the pipe when out in the garden supervising the dogs on their last toilet break of the day....something nice about smoking the pipe and looking up at the stars on a still night.
    More often than not I smoke the same pipe and blend all day every day thus avoiding having to make decisions which suite me just fine. I'm not keen on smoking the pipe if my mind and hands are busy doing something as I usually end up with tongue bite through puffing away too much.
    All pretty boring stuff to be honest...

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    As someone who who's got a pipe on the go most of the time, never thought about quirks.
    Like most have mentioned pipes are enjoyed most when quiet & on your own. I suppose my quirk is smoking in the bath.
    I consider it more of a luxurious extravagance though, as it doesn't happen very often. Lol. When it does though it's always with a churchwarden & a very strong blend, marvellous!

@brooklynbill, never heard the expression 'chincey' before. I like it!
    That was one of my all time favourite pastimes but the old arthritis got so bad just take showers now and can't seem to keep my pipe lit under the shower also the baccy always seems wet.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    That was one of my all time favourite pastimes but the old arthritis got so bad just take showers now and can't seem to keep my pipe lit under the shower also the baccy always seems wet.
    Sorry to hear the old arthritis has put the Kai bosh on it for you joe. Don't know if you can get the 'head umbrella caps' where you are? They're a novelty baseball cap with a small revolving umbrella fixed on top. They'd be perfect for a shower smoke! You'd have to smoke in total secrecy though. As it'd look like you've lost your marbles, but it'd work!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye lads, Intresting topic...

Me first observation be that just by smoking a pipe makes me quirky... I started pipe smoking whilst still in high school in 1972, I was considered different even then for the pipe. Most of the kids then were into the cancer sticks... I worked as an auto mechanic at the time and most of the time I had a pipe clenched and lit... After the Navy I still smoked the pipe as a diesel mechanic... Then the rules started to change... can't smoke at the shop, then when I went to college couldn't smoke there either... now the nanny state says we should all be rounded up and given electro shock therapy to get us back in line...

Now as I approach codger status I find that I enjoy the ritual more now, cutting a plug, shredding a flake, packing a ribbon and just enjoying the process... I read blogs, watch the telly, read books, surf the net, walk, sit on the porch and just plain chill..

I do agree wit Herb, the carbonated drinks do exacerbate the bite, but I do like Mr Pemberton's cola concoction... Coffee enhances some blends while tea just cleans the palate...

Thems me ponderins...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Trying to think of quirks I have...I to put the rubber protectors on my pipes. It keeps me from leaving chatter marks and as I do clench some of my pipes while in garb (for the renfair) I really don't want to destroy the stem on the Wellington I use. And as PyrateMate said above, there is something about the process of cleaning, filling, and preparing the pipe to have a relaxing smoke...Almost like a Japanese Tea Ceremony without the kimono and stuff ;) Then just sitting back and relaxing with a good pipe...if I weren't at work it sounds good right about now.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123