Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here's to a new start!

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelP View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I look forward with anticipation on hearing the stories and viewing the pipes, tobaccos and accessories that you have.
    Thank you for the welcome. I'll be taking some pictures starting tomorrow!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome to PSU, Chris! You had my attention at the mention of pipes. You had my heightened attention at the mention of old, sealed tobacco tins. You had my full attention at the mention of tools!

I'm sorry that your previous forum experience was disappointing. I've seen the same happen before. Try to keep in mind that most of us that frequent these forums are enthusiasts and collectors. We often develop emotional attachments to these little, curvy pieces of wood and the bits of dry leaves that we put in them. It's an attachment that is largely beyond the understanding of the rest of the rational world. So, we gather together virtually to share that passion with other, like-minded devotees.

As often it happens with passion, sometimes it gets out of control. On rare occasions, it can even get nasty. Forgive us. It's not right and it's not fair, but it is the nature of the beast. Cooler heads usually prevail in the end though and PSU just happens to be a great place that is chock full of chilly noggins. So, I don't think you'll have any worries here.

By the way, don't be too quick to dismiss those Sears & Roebuck and L.L. Bean pipes. They may not be as sought after as old Dunhills, for example, but they most definitely have their fans.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

Aye Chris, Welcome Aboard Lad! We be a fine motley lot fer sure all in the pursuit o the pipe! So kick back and get Ye a ration o the Capt's Rum n let's get acquainted...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hi from Jim in UK.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Welcome to PSU, Chris! You had my attention at the mention of pipes. You had my heightened attention at the mention of old, sealed tobacco tins. You had my full attention at the mention of tools!

I'm sorry that your previous forum experience was disappointing. I've seen the same happen before. Try to keep in mind that most of us that frequent these forums are enthusiasts and collectors. We often develop emotional attachments to these little, curvy pieces of wood and the bits of dry leaves that we put in them. It's an attachment that is largely beyond the understanding of the rest of the rational world. So, we gather together virtually to share that passion with other, like-minded devotees.

As often it happens with passion, sometimes it gets out of control. On rare occasions, it can even get nasty. Forgive us. It's not right and it's not fair, but it is the nature of the beast. Cooler heads usually prevail in the end though and PSU just happens to be a great place that is chock full of chilly noggins. So, I don't think you'll have any worries here.

By the way, don't be too quick to dismiss those Sears & Roebuck and L.L. Bean pipes. They may not be as sought after as old Dunhills, for example, but they most definitely have their fans.
    Welcome aboard from the land of Sand and Cacti! Phoenix Arizona! And Piffyr is absolutely correct...people can be idiots...and there are collectors for Everything! Good luck and let us know what you have...I in particular love Wellington pipes by WDC...I currently have 5 of various sizes and am always looking for more if the price is right.

Have fun and see you around the Forum!
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome to PSU, Chris! I believe that you and I were members of the same website from which we were both purged. I remember reading your posts there about your grandfather's collection. We're glad to have you onboard here and many thanks for treating us to photos of some of his real gems.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    Welcome aboard from the land of Sand and Cacti! Phoenix Arizona! And Piffyr is absolutely correct...people can be idiots...and there are collectors for Everything! Good luck and let us know what you have...I in particular love Wellington pipes by WDC...I currently have 5 of various sizes and am always looking for more if the price is right.

Have fun and see you around the Forum!
    I actually remember seeing a few Wellingtons. I will take another look this week and see if I can't dig them up so you can look at them.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello & a welcome from me as well! As a fan of old pipes & aged tobacco, will be taking a nosey interest in what you've got.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    Now and again since 1977.

Hello Chris, and Welcome to PSU!!!
    Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...

Thank you to everyone who read and responded to my post. You have made me feel very welcome. I appreciate it very much!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast