Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Yorkshire

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello from Yorkshire

HI Everyone
    My name is Tim but most people i know call me Wiz (an old gaming tag that stuck). I live in the city of Leeds in West Yorkshire and have been pipe smoking just about a week now after smoking roll ups for over 40 years. In all honesty i am struggling with the pipe because i still can't get the packing right, yesterday i thought i had the Frank method sorted but it must of been a fluke as today my pipe has been going out on a regular basis :(.
    I have watched hours of video's and read loads of things about packing, joining different forums well this and 1 more, trying to get it right. I know i will get it right one day but i am just impatient i guess.
    I hope to get to know some of you and look forward to learning the art of pipe smoking.
    Thanks for reading
    Wiz

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome Tim, thanks for joining us.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Ey Up Lad! don't give up, it takes a bit of practise to get it right, take it from me as I was also a heavy roll up smoker that's now ditched the habit, you'll get plenty advice here on getting things right so bare with it and It'll all come good in the end, trust me.

Are you still on the fags?

Real Name
    Jeff
    Pipe smoker since
    Nineteen Hundred Eighty and Seven

Welcome....

Well, it takes time and practice develop your technique much like learning to ride a bike.

Your success will open up wonderful new worlds with endless paths to follow as you explore the world of the weed.

It can change you in the most unexpected ways..... enjoy.
    Jeff
    __--____
    "what ever turns you on Cup Cake…."

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for the replies and advice, in response to ally, yeah i have some rolling tobacco left, it's a good job really because the pipe doesn't stay lit long enough to smoke it lol. I am determined to keep at it as i need to quit the roll ups, i did try the e-cig route but it just didn't feel right. I know it will come but it would be nice to get it right quicker, maybe i am just been impatient.

Wiz

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome!

Pipe smoking has to be learned. Trial and error does it, and plenty of both. We've all got our own individual styles of packing, lighting, smoking, and cleaning. What works for one will likely not work for all-- but that's the fun of it.

My advice while learning to pack a pipe is don't try to do the whole bowl with one clump of tobacco. Fill it with smallish pinches and push down just until it feels likie the strands are together but not firm. The best test is to draw through the pipe. A proper fill will feel a little resistance, like water through a straw. Too tight will feel like a thick milkshake and too loose will feel like sucking air.

Take your time. You'll get it. And don't forget to dry out your tobacco a bit. That will help your pipe burn well and taste good.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Another Yorkshireman? Taking over you boys are! Lol. Only joking of course. A big welcome from me, down here in Hereford. Very similar to Yorkshire, only nicer. As you say yourself you're just being impatient, it'll come. If you're in Leeds, there's a great tobacconist there, greens of Leeds. If I was you I'd pop in & ask for some samples of beginners blends & take it from there. Don't want to overthink things, I've been on the pipe since 1988 & never tried the 'franck' method.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Pipe smoker since

Hi from another Yorkshireman - Jim, near Selby.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks again for the replies, i know the shop you speak of Simon but don't get out for health reasons but i do buy online from him (cheapest i have found online). Unusual for someone from Yorkshire lol, got a friend who lives on the outskirts of Selby jimbo, not seen him in quite a while though with not getting out.
    Thanks for the advice though much appreciated

Wiz

Real Name
    Thomas

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome Wiz.
    It was drying a little more than what I thought was right, that did it for me.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast