Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why A Pipe ?

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Why A Pipe ?

Hi Guys
    Just asking out of curiosity what made you choose to smoke a pipe. I myself smoked roll-ups and to be honest apart from the expense of tobacco i realised that i was getting more out of breath whilst walking my Staffy Jess, she used to have to wait for me to catch up and the look on her face was comical, like she was saying c'mon i haven't got all day. I did try e-cigs with apparently 24% nicotine but it didn't feel right. I am still struggling with the packing methods but am determined to stick it out, and besides when the pipe stays lit i actually enjoy the flavour of the smoke. So guys why a pipe, considering they are supposed to be out of fashion ?.

Thanks for reading
    Wiz

Real Name
    Jeff
    Pipe smoker since
    Nineteen Hundred Eighty and Seven

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I never could freehand roll, so....... here I am
    Jeff
    __--____
    "what ever turns you on Cup Cake…."

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

"The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    Sam Slick from the book, "The Clockmaker”

I believe this is true, Wiz. A pipe isn't just another form of a nicotine delivery system. Cigarettes and vaping do that. Smoking a good pipe and tobacco are all about enjoying the flavor of the smoke. It's relaxing and gives the pipe smoker an opportunity to slow down and indulge in a private luxury. It's also a craft that involves learning as well. Anyone can light up a cigarette, but learning how to tend to the packing of the pipe, keeping the pipe lit, and all of the other handiwork of smoking a pipe is where the craft of pipe smoking comes into play. Patience, trying out different techniques and finding out what best works for you is all part of it. We're here to help you along on your journey, so ask as many questions as you want. You'll find that learning how to smoke a pipe is a process and a very rewarding accomplishment.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I had been attracted by my fathers pipe smoking habits ever since I was a young boy however after he passed away it wasn't until I was 15 my pipe smoking interest returned....I had been smoking the odd cigarette for a couple of years.
    It was in the early 70's before starting a full time course at Horticultural College I worked at Rouken Glen a splendid natural woodland/formal garden park on the outskirts of Glasgow. While there I spent several weeks working beside craftsmen gardeners and labourers. Strangely enough none of the gardeners smoked but the labourers did so I used to enjoy when rain stopped work and we would all gather in the 'bothy' beside a fire.
    There I could observe the shapes of their pipes as well as the different tobaccos they smoked....mostly flakes and plugs. Wanting to be seen as a man rather than a boy it was then I decided to buy a pipe.
    I didn't actually like the smoking of it but I enjoyed the art of filling and the lighting of it. As the years passed my interest in pipe smoking would come and go....mostly go as I suspected girls weren't too keen on being seen with a boy with a pipe in his mouth.
    Moving on in years and my pipe smoking was done at the weekends when away hillwalking/camping/fishing. At the time I was stuck inside teaching so a cigarette at break time was much easier and quicker.
    It was only when we came here to live and I had the time my interest in pipe smoking really picked up again. Although still a cigarette smoker a day doesn't go by without me having a few smokes of the pipe. Now aged 61 and I'm enjoying the pipe more than ever.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Interesting question, Wiz. I had to think a little bit to remember exactly what motivated me to start smoking a pipe almost 30 years ago though I remember the moment like it was yesterday. I suppose some of it was peer pressure, as my best friend got me into it initially. I was already smoking cigarettes, though, and still considered tobacco a somewhat mystical thing that I wanted to explore further. By the way, if you think pipe smoking is out of fashion now, you should have done it in the late 80s, when most people still knew a grandfatherly figure who actively smoked a pipe, and couldn't figure out why someone on the cusp of their twenties would care to commit social suicide like this when they could just light a Camel.

Anyway, I bucked the social conventions and bought a pipe. It took me a while to master smoking it, as it does for most people, and I continue to learn as I go, as Russ mentioned. In fact, your thread inspired me to light a bowl of Sam Gawith's Westmorland Mixture in my very first Savinelli from back in the day, which, it turns out, has a tall, straight chamber better suited to keeping the tobacco burning than the conical bowl I was trying to smoke it in last night.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Thomas

For me it's simply that the tobacco tastes much better.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    For me it's simply that the tobacco tastes much better.
    Simple but true. Pipe tobacco is to cigarette tobacco as Bordeaux is to bathtub gin.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

I was born in the 60s and to be honest i can't ever remember seeing anyone with a pipe, all the people i knew were Woodbine or Park Drive smokers, a lot of people back then didn't like the filter tip ciggies, i think growing up the only people i saw smoking a pipe were Mr Wilks and old Amos on Emmerdale Farm (that's a TV Soap for the Americans in the group). I am sure people must have but just never seen them.

Wiz

I have always loved the smell of a burning pipe, however, no one in my family smoked a pipe, just cigarettes or cigars. I used to love visiting the Tinder Box's in the mall and while most kids my age were hanging out in the arcades, you could always find me hanging out at a Tinder Box just enjoying all of the wonderful aromas. I remember thinking that I was most definitely going to smoke a pipe when I became of age... of course, my teenage years introduced me to cigarettes and dip and I really got hooked pretty quickly. It wasn't until 2009 when I turned 29 years old that I decided I didn't ever want to give up tobacco entirely but I wanted to give up smoking cigarettes, so it seemed a natural progression to move on up to pipes and leave behind the nasty cigs. My father-in-law gave me 5 of his pipes as he had quite smoking a pipe several years before hand but always kept his pipes on display. I didn't even bother cleaning up the pipes, I immediately went hunting for a pipe tobacco that would smell like what I remembered and I inevitably found Captain Black. I soon found out that when smoking it you don't smell it how others around you do and I was extremely disappointed by the lack of taste I got from it. I talked to my FIL about it and he told me about a tobacco called Latakia. His favorite mixture to smoke was a blend of Captain Black and Latakia mixed to a 50/50 ratio. I went out in search for this Latakia stuff he spoke so fondly of and it led me to two bulk blends I later found out were, 1.) McClelland's AM Pipe and 2.) Stokkebye's Proper English. Once I discovered those two blends it was all over for me, I was a devout pipe smoker from there on out. My tastes have changed over the years but I still love my English/Balkan blends. I was absolutely intrigued by the tin note of these Lat blends, they reminded me of BBQ or of smoky leather but I wasn't sure how they would smoke. My mind was blown from first light as I instantly fell in love with that taste that you can only get from smokey Latakia and I understood why pipe smokers do what they do... I'm quite lucky that I discovered it when I did, as I was getting close to giving up on the pipe and all those wonderful smelling black Cavendish blends, sure they smell good in the tin and they smell divine when other people are smoking them but they just tasted like hot air to me, with very little nicotine at that.

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Wanted to look older and more mature so I took one of my grandfather's Peterson's to a tobacconist in Belfast city center called LEAHY KELLY AND LEAHY. a huge store on 2 floors talked to one of the guys told him I wanted to try something new he recommended 3 Nuns he most of been killing himself laughing.Thing is I liked it and haven't stopped since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast