Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acck! Better pipes seem to be..um... better.....

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Acck! Better pipes seem to be..um... better.....

Took a ....tiny.... plunge and bought a couple of Savinelli pipes.
    DAMN! They seem to smoke "better" than my Medicos and Dr. Grabows.

Now how can that be?
    Briar is briar and a pipe is a big hole and a little hole and smoke comes through the little hole.

So....????

BUT.... I do not think I can put up with balsa filters. Tried it 3 times and ...well... sorta phooey.

So, back to cutting down Medico filters to fit and going from there.

Who'd a thought a better piece of wood would make a better pipe?

Gee.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It's not just a better piece of wood (if it is), it's how it's designed within, the draft, air canal in the stem, how the chamber meets the draft hole and how the slot in the bit is cut, etc.
    You'll also find that a lot of handmade pipes from individual pipemakers smoke even better because they emphasize on the mechanics of the pipe to promote a more pleasurable smoke.
    It's just not all looks when choosing a good pipe, it's like the difference between using a Chinese made wrench or a Snap-on or any other quality brand.
    It's sometimes pays to spend a little more for quality in this throw anyway society we have now.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I am a guy who thinks the stem has a lot to do with it, and the quality of the briar is not so important as we tend to think.

I'll give Ron a +1 for a better answer.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Lads, a lively discussion to follow fer sure... Meíthinks the Briar finish and stem quality Ďas a lot t do wit it. Fer instance, I Ďave a Dr Grabow that no matter wot I smokes in it, it gets hotter than a sailor in the boiler room... but, on the other hand my Petersonís, Jobeyís and GBDís all smoke cool 😎. The finish on the Grabow is a shellack which I think that doesnít let the Briar breathe, and the others are waxed...
    I canít account for the pedigrees of the briar... Ye reads all kinds o tall yarns when Ye see articles writ bout em being aged fer 70 odd years afore it be cut...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." ó Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You can't go wrong with a Sav. I have two, both good smokers, and I may get an elusive third someday if the model and shape is still available. Personally, I believe that a good briar contributes to the flavor of the smoking experience and that you can actually taste the wood, at least during the break-in of a new pipe. I never noticed this until I broke in two of my Italian hand-made pipes. The pipe books author, Fred Hanna, has written about this in the past as well. This may be a characteristic of better grade briar, but hey, I'm no expert, I just love smoking 'em!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

All briar may be created equal but that equality goes away when it is cured. Well cured wood will smoke far better than badly cured. And yes the engineering of the airway bowl to button also has quite an effect.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Acck! Better pipes seem to be..um... better.....

I have some Dr. Grabow Pipes that smoke just as well as my higher end pipes and I have some Dr. Gís that donít smoke so well. Who knows why that is???

I smoke all my filter pipes without the filters and I donít worry about putting an insert in them either, ya get a kind of reverse calabash effect that way.

Congrats on your Savinelliís they make some great smoking pipes!

Edit*

I have had great success with drilling a larger airway in the pipes that originally didnít smoke well. I go by Rick Newcombeís specs and they smoke like a dream now. Iíve done this to at least a dozen pipes now, including a couple of poor smoking Savinelliís.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 11-15-2017 at 03:51.

Quote Originally Posted by RP McMurphy View Post
    It's not just a better piece of wood (if it is), it's how it's designed within, the draft, air canal in the stem, how the chamber meets the draft hole and how the slot in the bit is cut, etc.
    You'll also find that a lot of handmade pipes from individual pipemakers smoke even better because they emphasize on the mechanics of the pipe to promote a more pleasurable smoke.
    It's just not all looks when choosing a good pipe, it's like the difference between using a Chinese made wrench or a Snap-on or any other quality brand.
    It's sometimes pays to spend a little more for quality in this throw anyway society we have now.
    Just listened to your interview on PM the other night and it was really great to hear you on there! I hope this spreads the word about your amazing pipes! Good job, Ron! Donít forget about us lil fellas when your rich and famous now. ; )

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    Just listened to your interview on PM the other night and it was really great to hear you on there! I hope this spreads the word about your amazing pipes! Good job, Ron! Donít forget about us lil fellas when your rich and famous now. ; )
    Yeah, Now ya know I also sound like an idiot, I'm not the type to be famous so no worries about forgetting that sir.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RP McMurphy View Post
    Yeah, Now ya know I also sound like an idiot, I'm not the type to be famous so no worries about forgetting that sir.
    Haha! Ya sounded just fine to me and ya did a lot better than I could have done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast