Thread: Looking for Grabows

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Looking for Grabows

Hi Guys
    As the title says i am looking for a couple more Dr Grabow pipes, i already have a Viscount and absolutely love it although i think i paid too much for it. Looking mainly for UK sellers because the shipping costs from the States are shocking and to be honest i'm not among the richest of pipe smokers. I have my eye on a Crown Duke and another Viscount and will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for reading
    Wiz

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It's nice to see the good Doc getting some love from abroad. Unfortunately, I don't think the brand has a big presence outside of North America. Are you looking for estates that you can restore or something that's ready to go right out of the box?
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mainly estates that are ready to go, i have only been smoking the pipe round about 3 weeks and struggled for 2 of them with packing tecnique.I haven't really got the skill set to do more than a decent clean up although i am very interested in restoration, i will leave that for further down the line.My biggest problem is knowing how much they are worth, i have a couple in my sights one being a Crown Duke which apparently unused and another Viscount which looks pretty good but used. What to bid for them i have no idea. I have seen quite a few in the States which were reasonably priced in my opinion but with shipping and some charging import tax they end up out of my price range.

Wiz

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

An estate Crown Duke should run you about $15 (~11) and a Viscount should be about $20 (~15), give or take a few bucks dependent upon shape, finish, and condition. Viscounts were higher grades. Also check out the Starfires which are similar in grade and price to Viscounts. Shipping to the UK shouldn't be too bad. About $15-20 via the slowest service, but that'll add up to a pretty good hurt if if you pay it pipe per pipe. So, in your position it's probably best to buy in lots if you can.

Tell you what though... If can you hang in there and not give up on the pipe out of frustration (plenty do), give me a shout back after the holidays are over and I'll hook you up. How's that sound?
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Thanks very much Piffyr, i have no intention of giving up the pipe, really needed to stop with the roll ups so am determined. If i buy a few more pipes that will also help because otherwise i would of wasted money. Thanks also for the price guide on the 2 i am eyeing up because i honestly had no idea. I am probably not the richest pipe smoker that you will ever meet hence me not being happy with the import tax on some i have seen. I actually thought that Dr Grabows would be more abundant over here but i was obviously very mistaken. Also thanks for the kind offer i will try and remember.

Wiz

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hi Wiz You should have a look at www.estatebriarpipes.dk. William is a great guy to chat with and he has lots of good quality estates. Shipping from Denmark should be a lot cheaper and no customs duty.

Thanks Craig, i just looked through his pipes and couldn't find any Grabows which is the main make i am chasing at the moment, it seems like they are a rarity in the UK and Europe with only the odd 1 or 2 popping up.Like i said earlier i will see how i go with the 2 i have spotted and then look elsewhere if i don't get them.
    Thanks again

Wiz