Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comoy’s Specimen Straight Grain 229 Restoration [Pic Heavy]

Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Talking to George, he appreciates that understanding and effort matters - he's a bit like a younger version of my Dad (Sorry George but I've said that to you before).
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Another beautiful restoration Anthony.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    The real problem came to light after I had cleaned the deposits from the end of the shank. There was a pretty good gap between the shank and the stem that had previously been filled with that stuff. I could see evidence of some indelicate tinkering at the end of the shank, but that didn’t explain the gap because the two faces didn’t meet and the space between was more or less even all the way around.

The pipe was thoroughly clean, the tenon wasn’t bottoming out (tenon: 18.3 mm / mortise: 19.7 mm), and there were no burs or steps inside the mortise. The cause was a complete mystery to me. I tried various, judicious tweaks to see if I could get even the slightest closure in the gap, but no luck. I was almost out of ideas and about to admit defeat. So, I called in the big guns and hit up George D. (PSU member, "PSPR&R") for an assist.

One of George’s suggestions was to massage the shoulders of the tenon a bit. I took a shot and knocked the upper shoulder…

… back toward the base by about 1 mm. Success! The shank and stem faces finally made contact. Thanks again, Big G!
    I've came across that a lot on older estates with ebonite / vulcanite stems, they seem to swell with age and possibly the absorption of humidity and or tars.
    Lookin real good......as usual sir, now if I could only make one that looks that good.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RP McMurphy View Post
    I've came across that a lot on older estates with ebonite / vulcanite stems, they seem to swell with age and possibly the absorption of humidity and or tars.
    Lookin real good......as usual sir, now if I could only make one that looks that good.
    Thanks, Ron.

I've seen that same type of mortise tightening many times as well, but you can usually feel that. This one wasn't like that at all. It had smooth travel until it met a hard stop, which is why I thought the tenon was bottoming out at first. Obviously, there was some sort of deformation in the mortise, but I'm still at a loss to describe it.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks | g+: Anthony Cook

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

a lovely resto Anthony,what has happened to Mark ,havent seen him post lately hope he is ok

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

Hi Paul
    I’m fine. Still collecting pipes and tobacco as you can see. But I have a light COPD, which is why I stopped smoking fags about 3 years ago. And it resulted in a dry cough from smoking 1-2 pipefuls a day. So I’ve cut back to about 2 pipes a week, which I seem to be able to handle. Except at that rate I only smoke each pipe about once a year. And breaking in a pipe means not smoking any other pipe for a month or more. Which also diminishes my desire to chat about pipes on fora. So you probably won’t see me here that often. But I do come back occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I have said it before but i will say it again, you are one genius at turning trash into treasure pipe wise, amazing pipe, i love restoration before and after pictures to try and work out how you actually do it.

Wiz

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    Hi Paul
    I’m fine. Still collecting pipes and tobacco as you can see. But I have a light COPD, which is why I stopped smoking fags about 3 years ago. And it resulted in a dry cough from smoking 1-2 pipefuls a day. So I’ve cut back to about 2 pipes a week, which I seem to be able to handle. Except at that rate I only smoke each pipe about once a year. And breaking in a pipe means not smoking any other pipe for a month or more. Which also diminishes my desire to chat about pipes on fora. So you probably won’t see me here that often. But I do come back occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    good to know your ok.I was wondering as you hadnt been around on here lately

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

Quote Originally Posted by Wizhunter View Post
    I have said it before but i will say it again, you are one genius at turning trash into treasure pipe wise, amazing pipe, i love restoration before and after pictures to try and work out how you actually do it.

Wiz
    This pipe was badly oxidised and heavily smoked, and desperately needed restoration. Anthony did a mindboggling, magnificent job on the restoration of all four pipes that he will be presenting here, including this one. But none of them were trash, which is something that you throw away. All of them were extremely rare collectors items that any pipe lover should have been excited about being able to examine even in their unrestored state.

Mark

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    This pipe was badly oxidised and heavily smoked, and desperately needed restoration. Anthony did a mindboggling, magnificent job on the restoration of all four pipes that he will be presenting here, including this one. But none of them were trash, which is something that you throw away. All of them were extremely rare collectors items that any pipe lover should have been excited about being able to examine even in their unrestored state.

Mark
    Touchy, Mark. Wiz is new to the pipe world and I've no doubt that he's still trying to wrap his head around the nuances of "collectibility" and "rarity" just like the rest of us had to when we started out. He was just trying to pay a compliment, which I appreciate, and I'm sure he didn't intend to say that the pipe was literally "trash".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litera...ative_language
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks | g+: Anthony Cook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast