Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nicotine Hit

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Well I'm the last person to be offering advice considering despite the wife's nagging I still smoke cigarettes. Not only is the quality of cigarettes here very good they're very cheap which doesn't exactly give much incentive to give up.
    Anyway for what it's worth....what I have found is I go through less cigarettes when I smoke a strong tobacco I really like. Unfortunately imported blends are only available in 'real' tobacconists in Buenos Aires which is a 4 hour round trip away....and don't come cheap. However fortunately for me I was able to source the domestically produced twist which is not only cheap it also comes with a nicotine hit. This stuff has certainly helped reduce my cigarette intake.
    If either were available here I could happily stick to Condor or St Bruno but I know you're not too keen on Condor. So I agree with the others, give the SG or GH twists a go. I've only tried two of them but they should do the trick.
    It’s my understand that he has only had Condor Blended, which I have never had but I’ve only heard very bad things. Condor should not be a excluded from your try list based solely off your dislike of Condor Blended. I think most Condor fans agree that that stuff is an abomination.

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

I went through this twice, once 45 years ago when I tried unsuccessfully for 5 years to smoke pipes instead of cigarettes and again 3 years ago when I finally stopped. My wife also stopped cold 20 years ago for one year and again 6 months ago.

She had a lot of help through hypnosis. Each time she let herself be hypnotised and didn‘t want to smoke for a year. The first time she got weak after a year and smoked again for another 20. Nicotine plasters didn‘\t help her when she tried them.

In my case, during the first 5 year attempt, I smoked once cigarette after 6 months on a pipe, and was not able to stop permanently again. This time, I promised myself I could buy any pipes I wanted as long as I didn‘t smoke any cigarettes. I‘ve got over a hundred pipes now and haven‘t touched a roll-up in the three years.

Pipes do not replace cigarettes. They do something else instead, which is much tastier but different. Three years ago, I craved cigarettes every day for 6 months, usually having fits of nicotine withdrawal for at least 2 hours each time. Smoking a pipe during such an attack relieved the attack somewhat while I was smoking it but it came back immediately after the pipe was finished. So from my experience, the only solution is time. The attacks became rarer over the six months, going down to once every few days and then once a week. Now it‘s at once a month or two but is no longer dramatic. Even with hypnosis, my wife was having daily attacks of nicotine withdrawal and now 6 months later they are down to every few weeks.

Everybody will respond differently to nicotine withdrawal and I know multiple pipesmokers who still smoke cigarettes because they can‘t stop. Based on my own experience, you can‘t replace cigarettes. But you can stop even though you will; probably be addicted to them for the rest of your life. So I would recommend you don‘t even try to replace the nicotine but rather simply enjoy smoking pipes for what they offer you rather than as a replacement.

Good luck
    Mark

Hi guys
    You all have given me things to think about, i think i mentioned that it's been over 40 years near 45 that i have smoked roll ups.I really enjoy the pipe and it does help me chill but like Mark stated, 5 minutes after your craving that Nicotine hit.Maybe gum or patches may help, i did try getting hypnotised a good few years back with a mate who also wanted to stop,he managed to stop whereas i lit up as soon as i got outside. The idea's you guys have given me will help spur me on, i have cut down quite a bit already and keep telling myself not to but the craving just calls me back to roll ups. I used to like a drink and pretty much was becoming a Alcoholic, drinking everynight. It started with beer then Vodka, i had a health scare due to drinking and just stopped and never drank again. To me this is harder but i am determined to do it and you guys have given me some good idea's to help me moved forward so thanks again.

Wiz

Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    Pipes do not replace cigarettes.......They do something else instead, which is much tastier but different.
    Everybody will respond differently to nicotine withdrawal and I know multiple pipesmokers who still smoke cigarettes because they can‘t stop. Based on my own experience, you can‘t replace cigarettes. But you can stop even though you will; probably be addicted to them for the rest of your life. So I would recommend you don‘t even try to replace the nicotine but rather simply enjoy smoking pipes for what they offer you rather than as a replacement.
    I agree totally with this. To stop smoking ciggies is one task and can be achieved only by never succumbing to smoking one (akin to overcoming alcohol addiction). Pipe smoking is a different pleasure and you should be seeking that pleasure by smoking good tasting tobacco. Seeking out strong blends is not the answer IMO: good blends are what you want (some of which may well be strong - but that's not the objective).
    Last edited by jimbo44; 12-02-2017 at 12:22.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    To stop smoking ciggies is one task and can be achieved only by never succumbing to smoking one (akin to overcoming alcohol addiction). Pipe smoking is a different pleasure and you should be seeking that pleasure by smoking good tasting tobacco.
    This.

I smoked cigarettes for better than 10 years and I was smoking slightly more than a pack a day by the time I left them behind. You've received some fine recommendations for pipe blends loaded with nicotine, but I can tell you from experience that not a one of them will give you the shotgun-blast-down-an-IV-feed nic kick that the cigarettes do. There is just no such thing as a drop-in replacement. Best to go ahead and accept that now.

Success in switching from cigs to pipes will require a mental attenuation on your part. There is no magic bullet that will eradicate the cravings. The best that you can do is reduce the effects of withdrawal and let your willpower take over from there. Over time, you will crave less often, but you will never be completely free from it. I still get an odd craving for a cig every now and then that seems to come out of the blue. I just ignore it as best I can and it's usually gone after a few minutes.

Also, it's become cliche to say, but it's true; if you fall off the wagon get right back on. No real harm done. It's a setback, but not a defeat. I've fallen off twice since I kicked the cigs. The first was just a week or so after I made the switch. The second was more than a year ago during a time of intense stress. Both times I was able to resume abstinence immediately after. So, just hang in there.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I agree with everything you guys are saying, it is going to be hard but i am determined more than i have ever been. I really enjoy the pipe especially the Royal Yacht blend, which most pipe smokers apparently hate ?. It's harder in the evening when there isn't much about to occupy my mind so i naturally make a roll up out of habit i guess. I need to stop buying roll up baccy and will once i get a few more blends and maybe some gum or patches, the gum and patches are free over here so i won't be wasting money if they fail. So by next Tuesday i will have used this roll up tobacco and i ain't buying no more, besides it's costing me a fortune buying pipe and roll up tobacco every week. So it's a new week and a fresh start...Pipe only !!

Wiz

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    My favorites:

Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

GH&Co. Brown Bogie, Dark Birds Eye and Dark Flake scented.

Gallagher’s Condor Plug/Long Cut, RR

Ogden’s St. Bruno Flake/RR

C&D Old Joe Krantz

You started with Condor Blended (which used to be called Lite, I believe) which is lighter in nic than the original. You might just haul off and try Condor Long Cut and/or Ready Rubbed.

You’re in the right part of the world for strong Tobaccos as even your otc baccies are quite stout compared to the Yankee market.

I’d even recommend Walnut Flake (which is called something else now... think it’s Original Flake??? Someone correct me if I’m wrong)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesla View Post
    This :

Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

Should come with a warning
    label...

...has had me nearly on the floor a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizhunter View Post
    I agree with everything you guys are saying, it is going to be hard but i am determined more than i have ever been. I really enjoy the pipe especially the Royal Yacht blend, which most pipe smokers apparently hate ?. It's harder in the evening when there isn't much about to occupy my mind so i naturally make a roll up out of habit i guess. I need to stop buying roll up baccy and will once i get a few more blends and maybe some gum or patches, the gum and patches are free over here so i won't be wasting money if they fail. So by next Tuesday i will have used this roll up tobacco and i ain't buying no more, besides it's costing me a fortune buying pipe and roll up tobacco every week. So it's a new week and a fresh start...Pipe only !!

Wiz
    Aye Mr WH, the two main rouges quoted here are the best sources for the Vitamin N info... Dave be right when he says that they needs to be a caution on the 1792 Flake, but once Ye indulge Ye will ne'er look back, one o the best out thar... IMHO the list's given will give Ye plenty o options for the learnin curve to be goin through...

Now as fer me I likes the Royal Yacht too!! And I'll blast the blighter wot be contrary...pirate41.gif
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Wiz, I licked a 29-year pack-a-day habit almost by accident. I got an upper respiratory infection so bad it kept me off smoking everything for a couple of days, and then I bit the bullet and just quit cigs, which I really wanted to do anyway. After several days of that, I felt the physical nicotine cravings subside (though the psychological cues persisted for a while) and ventured cautiously back into smoking pipes. Rather than seeking out nicotine, I started back with some relatively lightweight blends, which helped me appreciate smoking without getting the nic hit. I still lean heavily toward things like Mac Baren Symphony and Mixture / Scottish (which taste even better now, of course), while even relatively heavy hitters such as SG Cabbie's Mixture have left me dizzy and nauseated if not smoked with respect and in moderation. I still smoke Hal O' The Wynd regularly, though; what that says about its nicotine content I can't say, but it has neither sickened me nor refueled my cravings, so I don't know if it would satisfy them if I had them.

I'm not saying you can't substitute a pipe for cigs, but for me, they are very different. I appreciate the control and enjoyment I have with pipes, and I believe that tobacco can be used responsibly this way without some threshold of nicotine content being necessary. Coffin nails were just sustaining an addiction of which I'm glad to be rid.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

I am going to recommend G&H Kendal Kentucky. It is tasty and packs a punch.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Thanks guys, i also think though might be wrong, that roll ups will be masking the true flavours of the pipe tobacco, if so thats another reason to stop. You guys have given me plenty of choices to try and will give them all a go.

Wiz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12