Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preben Holm Hand Cut Copenhagen Denmark

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I quite like them free hand pipes, i think they have gone a bit overboard with the one pictured, i have seen similar styles but cost wise i think they are too much, probably worth the higher prices people put on them but not for me.

Wiz

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizhunter View Post
    I quite like them free hand pipes, i think they have gone a bit overboard with the one pictured, i have seen similar styles but cost wise i think they are too much, probably worth the higher prices people put on them but not for me.

Wiz
    Wiz, You would'nt feel that way if You had or just held and admired a Preben Holm Private Collection pipe. These pipes are the epitomy of the pipe makers talent. The sweeping curves of the carvers emotions are brought to the senses to appeal to both the smoker and the collector. Today the perfectly made volcano is a thing of the past as are the stems with the perfect fit.

Jon

Real Name
    Dave

Jon, how many Private Collection pipes do you have?

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I said i liked free hand the style is a bit bold for me though, it doesn't really matter what i think as long as you like it

Wiz

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm no expert and never claimed to be, I just go by what my eye likes which doesn't say much for my pipes but, back to the Preben.
    I must agree with Anthony, while it's a nice enough pipe the stem just leaves it hanging and I do believe very few of his stems (and many others during that time period) weren't hand cut
    but, preformed stems and, you can or could still find them in vulcanite at pipe suppliers, not that that's a bad thing because again, that's what they used during that time.
    So they were limited to what stem to use unless they hand cut one.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Jon, how many Private Collection pipes do you have?
    Dave altogether I have ten and would have many more but I am very picky. I try and find unique one of a kind pieces that show the various emotions of this man's work. I pass up so many as I want the BEST I can afford. I wish the Shanghai Pipe Club would put a few on the market as they have the largest collections of his BEST WORK,as I have been told.

Jon

Not my thing-- but hey. Different smokes for different folks.

If you're happy I'm happy for you!!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Most pipe men here in the UK have devolved into smoking falcons. Which I think is a form of abstract expressionism.
    I put Falcons in a category of design that is completely separate from the Danish freehands. Falcons are almost purely of industrial design. Not too different from an engine part. Form serves only to support function. Not the prettiest things in the world for sure, but I think the designers succeeded in their intentions.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I put Falcons in a category of design that is completely separate from the Danish freehands. Falcons are almost purely of industrial design. Not too different from an engine part. Form serves only to support function. Not the prettiest things in the world for sure, but I think the designers succeeded in their intentions.
    I'd agree. I have a number of Falcons, and although I have bought some components for aesthetic reasons, such as my Extra (brown/bronze) stem and Hunter bowls, my appreciation for them stems chiefly from utilitarian considerations as well as a healthy dose of home town pride, as they were invented and first produced here in Fort Wayne. Nonetheless, I wouldn't put them on exhibit anywhere and don't smoke them to impress bystanders with my taste in smoking accessories.

My local pipe store recently had a couple of Preben Holm Ben Wades for sale. I can appreciate them for what they are and for their place in pipe design history, but I don't see myself buying and smoking one. They're a bit large for my tastes, and I lack the appropriate flares and turtlenecks in my wardrobe and sideburns on my face to complete the visage.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Take a look at the PipeDan, Stanwell (Sixten Ivarsson shapes), and W.O. Larsen catalogs from the late 1950's early 1960's here (they open as PDF's),

http://www.danishpipemakers.com/aboutpipes.html
    Since seeing the pipes from larsens catalogue, apart from questioning why aren't these beautiful shapes still being made?
    It's got me back on the search for an older style Danish stack. Whilst searching eBay came across a couple of beauty's. 'Prince amled' never heard of them before but very similar to the older shapes in larsens catalogue. Unfortunately both pipes had cracked bowls, so the search continues. Just thought I'd mention it here as I think 'prince amled' pipes is a name worth noting.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast