Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comoy’s Extraordinaire 235 Restoration [Pic Heavy]

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Beautiful job Anthony! I'd never of guessed that was the original colour, looking at the before photos. I don't recall seeing an older comoys with a red stain either, come to think of it. Looks nice though, I like it.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Beautiful job Anthony! I'd never of guessed that was the original colour, looking at the before photos. I don't recall seeing an older comoys with a red stain either, come to think of it. Looks nice though, I like it.
    Simon, as far as I know, the Extraordinaire finish always had a red tint. Here are some other examples...

I'm not sure about the age of the two 235s, but the first 499 is probably about the same age as this pipe and the bottom one (photo credit to PSU member, CRHPipes) is actually older.

I think the discrepancies come into play because the reddish tones don't wear well over time. Red dyes are pretty notorious for not being very lightfast. I'm sure you've encountered the same in your sign making. Take this two-sided sign for example...

The side that faces away from the sun for most of the day:

The side that gets strong sunlight for most of the day:

COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks | g+: Anthony Cook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12