Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Barling on the way

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

New to me Barling on the way

Got me another pipe from the excellent estatepipshop.co.uk. It's yet another Barling for me, a Garnet Grain 4759. I don't know whether it's from the Transition, Post Transition or Corporate Era, but it does look nice with its flat stem, and I am looking forward for it to make its journey to me from across the pond. I love those older Barlings.

Barling Garnet Grain 4759.jpg
    Last edited by Zeaward; 12-11-2017 at 04:19.
    je ne suis pas un fumeur de pipe.

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaward View Post
    Got me another pipe from the excellent estatepipshop.co.uk. It's yet another Barling for me, a Garnet Grain 4759. I don't know whether it's from the Transition, Post Transition or Corporate Era, but it does look nice with its flat stem, and I am looking forward for it to make its journey to me from across the pond. I love those older Barlings.

Barling Garnet Grain 4759.jpg
    Z, certainly looks like that classic flat Barling stem (the 9 in the shape code). The Garnet Grain appears in the 1962 catalog, so if I'd have to guess, I'd say from the 1960's, after the "Family Era".

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Z, certainly looks like that classic flat Barling stem (the 9 in the shape code). The Garnet Grain appears in the 1962 catalog, so if I'd have to guess, I'd say from the 1960's, after the "Family Era".
    That would make it an "Transition" pipe if it were so, but Garnet Grains remained in production for years after that before they were replaced in the nomenclature. If that change began with the Corporate era, then yes, it would have to be from some time in the 60s.
    Last edited by Zeaward; 12-11-2017 at 06:34.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Congrats, Ed! I like the bent shape combined with wide stem. Solid smoker, too, I bet.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

No matter when it was made, it's a great looking pipe with a nice shape. Congrats, Ed!
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Congrats, Ed! I like the bent shape combined with wide stem. Solid smoker, too, I bet.
    Thanks. It certainly looks to me that it'll be a good smoker, which is what led me to pull that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    No matter when it was made, it's a great looking pipe with a nice shape. Congrats, Ed!
    Agreed. That is my opinion too.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

I think I am correct to say that the shape numbers like 4759 started in early 1962 and the change from Barling,s Make to Barlings stamping in late 1962.
    Jesse may be along to clarify thing later,anyway he has stated that things did not go downhill immeidiately after the family left as often assumed
    Last edited by paulfg; 12-11-2017 at 18:49.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    I think I am correct to say that the shape numbers like 4759 started in early 1962 and the change from Barling,s Make to Barlings stamping in late 1962.
    Jesse may be along to clarify thing later,anyway he has stated that things did not go downhill immeidiately after the family left as often assumed
    Not precisely correct...the four digit numbers used in early 1962 Barling's Make pipes are not the same (I believe...?) as the four digit codes used in late 1962 on Barling pipes. The Barling's Boffins are working on the four digit shape codes used during this short period (early '62), their equivalencies in the older codes, and how they translated into the later four digit codes when applicable; I believe it's still a work in progress.

Here's a nice one Paul,

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...d-Special-2104

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice pipe Mr. Zeaward by the sea! A lot comfier than they look those flat stems, I've always found.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    Thanks paul. That is why from all the attendant indications available to me, this Garnet Grain must have been made sometime before the replacement of the Garnet Grain designation with that of the Standard. What I can't pin down is whether this means the 60s or the 70s. But, as I wrote, I like what I see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast