Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me Barling on the way

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Not precisely correct...the four digit numbers used in early 1962 Barling's Make pipes are not the same (I believe...?) as the four digit codes used in late 1962 on Barling pipes. The Barling's Boffins are working on the four digit shape codes used during this short period (early '62), their equivalencies in the older codes, and how they translated into the later four digit codes when applicable; I believe it's still a work in progress.

Here's a nice one Paul,

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...d-Special-2104
    Thanks Dave,I didnt know that.
    I looked at the 1962 retailers catalogue shown here but this shape isnt listed
    http://pipepages.com/62bar5.htm
    I cant see a bent brandy shape at all in that catalogue
    Last edited by paulfg; 12-11-2017 at 20:15.

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I got it today in the mail, which is really fast considering it jumped the big drink. The stem is smooth, not satin-like so it seems to be well post-transition, towards the waning years of the Garnet Grain designation, but it looks good.

Barling Garnet Grain 4759

I know who I am: Im the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude.

Real Name
    Dave

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Ed, I think you are going to find you have a good smoker there. I personally think it's a great misconception that the pipes made during the 1962-70 period were not still well made, fine smoking pipes. At least the ones I have are! In fact, your post is making me reach for a 4109 sandblast right now.

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Ed, I think you are going to find you have a good smoker there. I personally think it's a great misconception that the pipes made during the 1962-70 period were not still well made, fine smoking pipes. At least the ones I have are! In fact, your post is making me reach for a 4109 sandblast right now.
    Actually, I've always considered the transition and post-transition pipes to have been well-made. I just don't know if this pipe falls into one of those eras or is a later one. It could be from any time up to the moment when they did away with the Garnet Grain designation. But as I've said before, this one looks to me like a fine smoker notwithstanding the date.
    I know who I am: Im the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12