Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stanwell 34

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMan View Post
    Dave, yep. The stem is indeed clocked a bit off; the pipe is shown from several angles in the listing. Thanks for the warning...I'm quite a careful reamer!

How is yours smoking?
    Smokes very well, as well as being incredibly light in weight. Gotta love those old Stanwell's!

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Gotta love those old Stanwell's!
    You are so right..!

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I am resurrecting this because I don't really want to start a new thread,

Advertizing on some Stanwell pipes says "Prior to 2010." Did something happen then to change quality or are they ball-parking the age. Are newer Stanwells as good as old ones?
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I am resurrecting this because I don't really want to start a new thread,

Advertizing on some Stanwell pipes says "Prior to 2010." Did something happen then to change quality or are they ball-parking the age.
    Bill, that's when Stanwell moved from Danish manufacturing to Italian manufacturing. One way to distinguish them is that Danish-made pipes will be stamped, "MADE IN DENMARK" while Italian-made pipes will be stamped, "DANISH DESIGN".

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Are newer Stanwells as good as old ones?
    I'm sure others here will have opinions that may be different or even contrary, but I can only speak from my own experience. A couple of months ago I picked up these four, budget line, Italian-made Stanwells for project pipes...

They retail for between $50 and $60 USD. So, I wasn't expecting much. On arrival, however, I'll have to say that I was pretty impressed. Drilling, stem fit and button shaping are good on all four of them. The finish is ugly and the quality of the blocks leaves something to be desired, but as I said, these are budget-line pipes and I think that has more to do with those things than anything else. If their higher end pipes are no better in that regard, then I would be severely disappointed. As it is, I think they're fine pipes. If you would consider a Savinelli, I see no reason why shouldn't consider a modern Stanwell.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Thanks Anthony. I tried to search and came up blank but it just caught me as 2010 being significant for some reason without explanation.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Not that I know much about it, as I've never had a stanwell. I think I'm right in saying however that ALL the Italian stanwells come with acrylic stems. Something to consider if like me, you don't like acrylic stems. I think savinelli are the same, but I've never had one of those either.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Stanwell moved the production to Italy on the 1st of January 2010 and the pipes are now made at the Barontini factory. I haven't smoked a Stantini, as I collect Danish Stanwells only, but I honestly don't think that I can taste the difference. There might be a difference in feel, though.

The Stantini shape 140 looks slightly different from Jess Chonowitsch's Stanwell 140, even though it's the same pipe. There might be other slight variations of the designs.
    Then again, Stanwell made variations of their designs over the years. Sixten Ivarsson's no. 30, for instance, and the early no. 19 looks difference from the later versions.

Stanwell started to make acrylic stems in 1995 and the early ones are recognizable by the little dot beside the stem logo.
    Last edited by Dunstan Hillwell; 04-07-2018 at 11:01.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Dave

I haven't smoked a Stantini, as I collect Danish Stanwells only...
    Wa, Jespero, you no wanna smoke da Stanwellini?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

One thing worth mentioning is that the second pipe down in my photo is supposed to be a 403. It is not. This is what an actual 403 looks like...

For some reason (I assume a flaw), the one that was sent to me was bias cut across the top of the bowl, which changes both the overall look of the pipe and the chamber dimensions, and yet they still called it a 403 and sold it as such. I can't imagine that the Stanwell of old would have ever tried to pull anything like that.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I had a notion something was up when I saw that comment prior 2010! Accordingly it is not isolated to stems but also to Stanwell model styling as well. I've never been a big fan of Brigham Canadian made pipes because of the "Canadian Maple" i.e rock maple inserts. Patriotic engineering for marketing purposes. It was reported that these inserts when production moved to Italy were NOT made of our own native trees. Controversy followed but the pipes remained true as far as I know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast