Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wanted pipe cabinets in Europe

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    Nice. But how big is it?
    not that big Mark about 65cm tall x 50cm wide internally.I am thinking I should get about 3 rows of 10 -12 pipes in it if I make slotted rests for it a few less if I use pre made stands.
    I already have 2 cabinets with a small cupboard at the bottom holding 7 pipes each like the one in this picture,its not mine in the picture just one I found via google
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by paulfg; 01-16-2018 at 21:43.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a beautiful cabinet. It would be rather simple to trace out from a stencil and than use a small hand miter saw and do it yourself. It just takes patience and time. The leaded colored glass really sets the cabinet off. It's a real eye catcher!!!

Jon

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You do know that vulcanite oxidises in light? Any time you have pipes exposed to light the vulcanite stems will bleach. You can deoxidise but every time you do so, you lose material.

Clearly you want to be able to look at your pipes. But I keep mine in light-proof drawers except when I take them out for smoking or waiting for me to clean them before storage.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    You do know that vulcanite oxidises in light? Any time you have pipes exposed to light the vulcanite stems will bleach. You can deoxidise but every time you do so, you lose material.

Clearly you want to be able to look at your pipes. But I keep mine in light-proof drawers except when I take them out for smoking or waiting for me to clean them before storage.
    Hi Mark
    yes I do and I have mounted the cupboard on a wall where no direct light can fall,My existing cabinet is on another wall with no direct light and I have not had any problems with oxidisation on pipes that have been in it for about 3 years.
    The only pipes I have had problems with were ones I bought as estates heavily oxidised and didnt spend enough time removing it and it returned slowly as I smoked them.
    Thanks for the reminder I will keep an eye on the pipes anyway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12