Thread: Help a newbie store 1/2 mile of rope...;)

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Help a newbie store 1/2 mile of rope...;)

Some of you may have recently seen I received another kilo of Sayri rope.

Although a pipe smoker since 1972 I have very little knowledge/experience in storing tobacco as I've never bought in bulk until I found Sayri.In the photo you'll see what's left of my first kilo order bought several months ago which I have kept in a kilner jar. It's the only jar I own...in fact it's one my wife had in store here and must be many years old.To buy new ones here will not only be hard to source but ruddy expensive I suspect.
    As the rope comes bone dry (they use it mainly to make snuff I believe) I just stuck it in the jar and put it on a shelf in an outhouse where it has stayed for several months and as of yesterday it still looks perfectly happy. The remainder I kept in a large jar with screw top lid and when needed I would take a length out and hydrate it which has worked out great.

The advice I'm after is regarding this new batch....all bar a few inches of which is still lying in the box it came in. Should I just keep on as I've been doing and leave it as it is - dry as a bone - hydrating it as when needed or should I hydrate a large batch of it and store it in 'proper' jars? I have read some stories where stored tobacco has gone mouldy. Although the Sayri is cheap as chips I'd rather not waste excellent tasting tobacco through trying to be too clever.
    So what I'm asking is if you were in my position what would you do?

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Buy more Mason Jars Crawford, that's the only way I can see!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks Ally. I suppose what I was really wanting to know is do I actually need jars to store the tobacco if I'm not planning on hydrating it until I intend to smoke it? I wouldn't mind hydrating a small amount to keep in a mason jar as an experiment but I'd need a lot of jars if I was planning on jarring the lot. Not even sure I can buy them here anyway, I haven't seen any.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Pipe smoker since
    Nineteen Hundred Eighty and Seven

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yar....fetch ye some Jars......keep yer cargo dry.

LOL
    Jeff
    __--____
    "what ever turns you on Cup Cake…."

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

If it's already bone dry, I wouldn't bother. One of those tall stoneware jars would keep the remainder of your twist, till you're ready to hydrate some. Your Mrs has probably got one of those big terracotta jars for storing spaghetti. I'd Nick that, perfect for keeping it cool & dry.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks all.
    Been searching the equivalent of Ebay here and mason/kilner jars are hardly to be seen so I think I'll forget the idea of storing it that way.....it'll save me a fortune as well. What I shall probably do as an experiment is hydrate the quantity I already have in my one and only kilner jar then return it and see how it goes.
    I've got enough large screw top sterilised glass jars which used to be used for storing preserved peaches to keep the new batch dry.

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

I wish you lived a lot closer,here on the Rock folks jar a lot of goodies from Bakeapple to moose meat, so the cost of jars here is very cheap. I think you should keep it dry and hydrate a little at a time.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    I wish you lived a lot closer,here on the Rock folks jar a lot of goodies from Bakeapple to moose meat, so the cost of jars here is very cheap. I think you should keep it dry and hydrate a little at a time.
    Yes Joe glad you agree.

According to the wife preserving fruit whether whole or as jam used to be common here but not any more it would seem.