Thread: Homemade Cigar-Leaf Mixture Based On.... LANE LTD. "HGL" (English-Aromatic)

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Homemade Cigar-Leaf Mixture Based On.... LANE LTD. "HGL" (English-Aromatic)

I have been smoking Lane Ltd. "HGL" for a few months. It reminds me of the old blend called "10 Downing Street". Both blends are mild-medium English aromatics, with small, condimental amounts of Latakia.

However, while I enjoyed smoking "HGL" I decided to tweak it up for a little more flavor and complexity. I started by adding a little Maduro Cigar Leaf and a few other tobacco blends that I had on hand. I came up with a really great, smooth, and nuanced mixture. Here's the recipe:

"PLEASANT MOMENTS"

For the base... mix and blend:

1 ounce: Maduro Cigar Leaf/shredded
    1 ounce: Cube Cut Burley 41/Stokkebye
    1 ounce: match-"Elizabethan"/Pipes and Cigars...or use Dunhill's

Mix with an equal volume of "HGL"....(1 part base blend to 1 part "HGL"). Sore in a jar and age at least 10-14 days, to smooth out and marry flavors.

This mixture produces clouds of thick, creamy, sweet-mild smoke, and a very exotic aroma. Not cloying, or overly sweet. The Latakia and Perique -in condimental amounts- adds some interest, and body to the thick clouds of smoke. Good from top to bottom of bowl. Economical to make and tobacco components are readily available from different sources. Both smokers and smellers will enjoy this mixture.

Enjoy it, I hope.

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sounds like a fine blend.My blends are simply the dregs of what's left in my various tins.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks Craig. From the dregs, this "Pleasant Moments" mixture was born. I have a little recipe book where I write down all my tobacco blending experiments.

************************************************** ************************************

I like to add blending, or special tobaccos, etc. to popular, already established mixtures, e.g. Lane's "HGL" of "RLP-6", "Prince Albert", "Half & Half" etc. If the "HGL" is not what strips your gears, try adding any other Aromatic, English, Balkan, style tobacco mixture to this hybrid blend of tobaccos. The Cigar Leaf Base is the important part of this hybrid mixture. I am not a professional tobacconist/blender, nor, do I want to be. Using, and starting with some professionally blended tobacco mixtures, and then jazzing them up a little, is my strategy. It's also more economical.

I originally used Lane Ltd. "RLP-6" in place of the "HGL" but found that the final mixture was just a little bland and sweet. Oh, it was smooth and easy to smoke, but it just was uninteresting. I think when "HGL" is used, the slight addition of a little Latakia shocked the final mixture into that special category. You could also try an English mixture having a little more Latakia in it.

Good luck and enjoy.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! Drink and think, tobacco...all flesh is hay.....

Frank
    NYC

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

One of my current "Desktop Blends" is C&D Bayou Morning + C&D Poplar Camp + a little bit of HGL, it makes an easy, don't have to think about it, all day smoking blend.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

@ Dave:

Looked up both of the tobacco blends that you are smoking, and both contain a substantial amount of Perique. By adding some sweeter, "HGL" ...that contains a small amount of Latakia....does this aromatic addition, smooth out the rough edges of the C&D mixtures?

Just curious....so I asked.

Frank

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPipeNYC View Post
    @ Dave:

Looked up both of the tobacco blends that you are smoking, and both contain a substantial amount of Perique. By adding some sweeter, "HGL" ...that contains a small amount of Latakia....does this aromatic addition, smooth out the rough edges of the C&D mixtures?

Just curious....so I asked.

Frank
    That's exactly it, the Latakia is "barely there". The Poplar Camp has some Cavendish in it, and it's good by itself also. I try to look for good bulk tobaccos for my blends/experiments...

Poplar Camp: Almost 20% Perique and a dash of unsweetened black Cavendish are combined with Yorktown (Yorktown, Cornell & Diehl combine stoved red Virginia with bright Virginia and restoved it. Straight red Virginia is then added...) to make a Virginia/Perique lover's dream blend.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hey Dave...I likey your tobaccy! I'm not a big fan of Latakia, and I like where you're going with your mixtures.

Here's another home mixture based on Lane's "HGL" I call it ....

"GOLDEN HOURS"

Mix equal measures (by volume) of McClelland #2050/Oriental Cavendish.... and "HGL" Mix one part of each. Age it in a jar, or, press it into a crumble cake.

Cool, slightly sweet, aromatic and smoooooth....very mellow, and easy to smoke.

(I've read that Lane's "HGL" is Lane's RLP-6 with a small amount of Latakia....and RLP-6 is really "Captain Black"/Original). Go figure...

Frank

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

UPDATE

Re: "Pleasant Moments" - cigar leaf blend

Decided to up the percentage of "HGL". Made up a one pound batch:

Base:
    2 ozs. cigar leaf
    2 ozs cube cut Burley
    2 ozs match-Elizabethan

To the 6 ounce of base was added: 10 ounces of "HGL". Also added 2 ounces of Lane's "BCA" for a total of 18 ounces of blended "Pleasant Moments". The added amount of BCA further smooths out this mellow blend + gives it a small hint of caramel. Easy to smoke, nice aroma. Cigar leaf is there... but it's in the background.

Frank
    NYC
    Last edited by BriarPipeNYC; 01-23-2018 at 00:35.