Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brigham 4 dot Oom Paul.

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    Thanks for posting the photos. I now just take them with my iPhone or iPad and they look great.

Let us hear how it goes with bending the stem. I would not yet trust myself to try so it will be really interesting to hear how somebody else does at it.

Mark
    I will use the hair dryer and a piece of round stock the guys I have seen doing it make it look fairly simple.Famous last words.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    Famous last words.
    I've never done it either .........good luck. Brave!!!
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    I will use the hair dryer and a piece of round stock the guys I have seen doing it make it look fairly simple.Famous last words.
    Sorry, Joe. I thought maybe that you'd done it before, but don't worry. If you're careful, there's very little that can go wrong. Keep rotating the stem and moving it back and forth while heating it. That will prevent it from developing a "hot spot" that might blister. Since the stem already has some bend in it, you'll eventually see that bend start to straighten. That'll be your cue to start your own bending. You can use stock as a form if you like, but if it's of a small diameter I think that might make the bend too extreme. Something like a small, glass jar (something from the spice rack, maybe?) will probably work better. If I were doing it in this case, I'd probably just use the curve at the end of my thumb. When you get the bend to your satisfaction, quickly get the stem into a container of cool water. Leave it for 30-40 seconds to set it.

A couple of things to watch out for: Keep the bend of the stem at less than 90 to prevent the airway from collapsing. While bending, make sure you don't put more pressure on one side than you do the other or you'll have a crooked button. Don't press hard while bending or you'll leave an impression and possible constrict the airway.

Make sure you show us your results!
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you Anthony.when I pick up the nerve to do it your advice will come in handy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12