Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug Scented

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug Scented

I was checking my smoking shop for my next order yesterday and it seems that Dark Plug Aromatic is no longer listed. The backyard shop says its discontinued

https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/produ...g-pipe-tobacco

when did this happen? I have about 1/2 pound of it left.Is the flake very similar as that is still listed.It seems strange the plug is gone as I would assume it is the same only the flakes sliced off of a plug

Any suggestions for a replacement

cheers
    signed concerned of Greece

Wish I could help you but all I know is it was never available here in the States. We only have access to the unscented plug and thatís if youíre lucky enough to see it when itís in stock, it flies off the shelf in a matter of minutes. I have and love Dark Flake scented and I would say thatís your next best bet. Iíve had both the plug and the flake and I would say they are extremely similar, you might get a bit more depth of flavor from the plug but the flake is stellar on my opinion.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    Wish I could help you but all I know is it was never available here in the States. We only have access to the unscented plug and thatís if youíre lucky enough to see it when itís in stock, it flies off the shelf in a matter of minutes. I have and love Dark Flake scented and I would say thatís your next best bet. Iíve had both the plug and the flake and I would say they are extremely similar, you might get a bit more depth of flavor from the plug but the flake is stellar on my opinion.
    thanks Hawky
    the flake is still listed just hope it doesnt vanish too,by the way it seems we have similar tastes Condor,D flake ,do you like coniston,Bosun, Ennerdale flake?
    Last edited by paulfg; 01-16-2018 at 20:00.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    thanks Hawky
    the flake is still listed just hope it doesnt vanish too,by the way it seems we have similar tastes Condor,D flake ,do you like coniston,Bosun, Ennerdale flake?
    Yes, we do have similar tastes in tobacco. I also love those other ones you mentioned, in fact I'm about to light up some Ennerdale Flake right now. Have you had the chance to try Westmoreland Slices from them? Simon gifted me a nice sample of some and I really enjoyed that one too, unfortunately it's not available over here either but maybe you could get ahold of some, if you do see it, I highly recommend it!

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yes, we do have similar tastes in tobacco. I also love those other ones you mentioned, in fact I'm about to light up some Ennerdale Flake right now. Have you had the chance to try Westmoreland Slices from them? Simon gifted me a nice sample of some and I really enjoyed that one too, unfortunately it's not available over here either but maybe you could get ahold of some, if you do see it, I highly recommend it!
    no Hawky I have not tried or indeed heard of westmoreland slices before,maybe one to add to my next order.I have to wait for friends from the Uk to visit me ,I then order online to be sent their address and then they bring the order to me.This is since the banning of inter country shipping in Europe.So much for the EU being one market.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

well the order has been placed for my next visitors to bring.It comprises of
    G&H Dark flake scented
    G&H Brown Bogie
    G&H Brown Bogie scented
    G&H Irish Twist Rum
    G&H Dark Birdseye Shag
    That should see me ok for high nic for a while.
    I have never tried any of these but as above I like Dark Plug Scented so I hope these will please
    Last edited by paulfg; 01-24-2018 at 11:22.

well the order has been placed for my next visitors to bring.It comprises of
    G&H Dark flake scented
    G&H Brown Bogie
    G&H Brown Bogie scented
    G&H Irish Twist Rum
    G&H Dark Birdseye Shag
    That should see me ok for high nic for a while.
    I have never tried any of these but as above I like Dark Plug Scented so I hope these will please
    Iíve had all those except the scented Bogie. I think youíll be really happy with that order, those are all stellar tobaccos!

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

Iíve had all those except the scented Bogie. I think youíll be really happy with that order, those are all stellar tobaccos!
    I wanted to compare scented and unscented side by side.I couldnt find Rum twist in the bogie size so had to get irish.
    I had a sample from Dean that I think was the bogie size (about 1/2 inch diameter) but have not had any others to compare it with.I should have them about 2 Febuary when my friends visit me here in Greece.
    Last edited by paulfg; 01-24-2018 at 18:13.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I wanted to compare scented and unscented side by side.I couldnt find Rum twist in the bogie size so had to get irish.
    I had a sample from Dean that I think was the bogie size (about 1/2 inch diameter) but have not had any others to compare it with.I should have them about 2 Febuary when my friends visit me here in Greece.
    The Bogie and Irish Twists are very similar, youíll get some subtle differences because the proportions are slightly different. I tend to enjoy the Bogie just a tad more that the Irish Twist. I think youíll enjoy them very much.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The Bogie and Irish Twists are very similar, youíll get some subtle differences because the proportions are slightly different. I tend to enjoy the Bogie just a tad more that the Irish Twist. I think youíll enjoy them very much.
    A question Hawky
    do you slice to coins and the rub out or load as a coin,what approximate dry time do you find good (I realise this depends on many things,humidity,temperature etc),what type of bowl works best for you tall slim or wide pot like).
    I have found with Dark Plug that if rubbed out it burns best in a rhodie I have,I always thought billiards were the go too with plugs

sorry for so many questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast