Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug Scented

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug Scented

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    A question Hawky
    do you slice to coins and the rub out or load as a coin,what approximate dry time do you find good (I realise this depends on many things,humidity,temperature etc),what type of bowl works best for you tall slim or wide pot like).
    I have found with Dark Plug that if rubbed out it burns best in a rhodie I have,I always thought billiards were the go too with plugs

sorry for so many questions
    So as far as the rope goes, yeah, I cut them into coins and rub them out and let them dry, I usually do a large quantity at a time so I donít have to do this every time I want to load up. As far as drying time, I leave mine out scattered across a paper plate for at least two hours. I think it tastes best when itís almost crispy. I never have had good luck loading up the coins but Iíve heard that some people choose to do it that way.

I usually smoke the Bogie in a smaller chamber because it tends to get bitter in a larger bowl at about the half way point but I could see it doing well in a tall and narrow chamber like a billiard. I usually choose to smoke mine in either a squat bulldog or a Prince.

Hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 01-28-2018 at 15:42.

well the order has been placed for my next visitors to bring.It comprises of
    G&H Dark flake scented
    G&H Brown Bogie
    G&H Brown Bogie scented
    G&H Irish Twist Rum
    G&H Dark Birdseye Shag
    That should see me ok for high nic for a while.
    I have never tried any of these but as above I like Dark Plug Scented so I hope these will please
    After wrestling with the burn of Dark Flake I bet you'll love the Dark Bird's Eye. Drying it a bit gives an effortless light and burn. And if you like that shag cut Kendal Dark is a tad closer to DF u/s in flavor. I've really been enjoying that one lately.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    After wrestling with the burn of Dark Flake I bet you'll love the Dark Bird's Eye. Drying it a bit gives an effortless light and burn. And if you like that shag cut Kendal Dark is a tad closer to DF u/s in flavor. I've really been enjoying that one lately.
    thanks Billy
    that was my thoughts too,I like DF scented but the idea of a shag cut attracted me.The ropes are just to see if I can master them easier than plugs.I am assuming they are not so tightly pressed,although I could be wrong.
    I often am.
    my friends arrive Friday night so I should be in have the tobacco Saturday

thanks Billy
    that was my thoughts too,I like DF scented but the idea of a shag cut attracted me.The ropes are just to see if I can master them easier than plugs.I am assuming they are not so tightly pressed,although I could be wrong.
    I often am.
    my friends arrive Friday night so I should be in have the tobacco Saturday
    I think youíre right. The ropes are much less tightly pressed than plugs. Itís easy as pie to slice them and rub them out. And if youíre super lazy like I am then they make Brown Twist Sliced,which is basically Brown Bogey pre-sliced into thin thin coins which rub into shag with ease. Iíve been loving that one lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

Just smoked a bowl of Dark Birdseye straight from the packet with no drying,One relight after the charring light all the way to the bottom.Fantastic.I am now drying some Brown Bogie to try later.

Yup Dark Bird's Eye is da bomb. I prefer it a good bit drier than the way I usually receive it but nowhere near crispy. But I've never had a moisture level of the stuff that wasn't delicious.
    Billy
    --------

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

yes Billy very impressed with the birdseye,the brown bogie needed longer drying.I had left if for about 1 hour but couldnt get it to stay alight until about 1/2 way down the bowl.
    Hawky did say at least 2 hours in his reply above.Once I got it going I enjoyed it but I suspect it will be even better when dried a little more

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You could honestly leave it out over night (rubbed out) it will be crispy in the morning but it will smoke great with full flavor.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    You could honestly leave it out over night (rubbed out) it will be crispy in the morning but it will smoke great with full flavor.
    I did just that Hawky with some brown bogie,took 3 lights to get going and up to now 1/2 bowl down has behaved much better,just need to compare it with brown bogie scented to see which one I like best
    thank you

I did just that Hawky with some brown bogie,took 3 lights to get going and up to now 1/2 bowl down has behaved much better,just need to compare it with brown bogie scented to see which one I like best
    thank you
    Good to hear!

Yeah, Iíd like to hear your thoughts on the scented Bogie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast