Thread: Corona Old Boy Problem

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Corona Old Boy Problem

I have a problem with my old boy lighter,it has become increasingly difficult to light.The problem is the striker/thumb wheel assembly will not spin freely.
    I have removed the flint and cleaned everything but still the same.On dismantling the screw that holds the wheel in I find there appears to be a bush in the middle of the wheel that the screw passes through so that when the screw is tight the wheel spins on the bush.Mine is seized solid the wheel only spins if the screw is backed off a bit.
    Can anyone confirm this is indeed the case and has anyone encountered this and fixed it.I am thinking maybe I will need to buy a replacement wheel/bush assembly

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Paul, did you get your lighter working?
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As a temporary solution i slackened the screw that goes through the striker wheel a little.I am assuming that the wheel should spin on the bush in the middle .as described above.
    I plan to replace the wheel but they are out of stock at the moment at Estervals pipe house in Germany (the only place I could find selling spares in Europe although there must be others).
    I am told they should be in stock at the end of the month.
    I dont know what has caused the problem,whether it is a build up of carbon from the flint or from the poor lighter fuel I have been using.I cant find 4x refined fuel locally to me.I have tried cleaning the wheel with alcohol and soaking it but the bush is still stuck
    Last edited by paulfg; 02-12-2018 at 17:45.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

well the new striker wheel arrived and I fitted it ,still the same problem so I am going to order a new flint tube as this includes the mounting for the wheel and a new screw that fits through the middle of the wheel .
    If this doesnt cure the problem then I dont know what will.
    In the meantime the zippo has come out of retirement.
    I struggle to pull the flame down onto the tobacco with he zippo ,it is worst with wider bowls.I find I need to almost rest the lighter on the rim which I am reluctant to do.
    Any ideas?

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    well the new striker wheel arrived and I fitted it ,still the same problem so I am going to order a new flint tube as this includes the mounting for the wheel and a new screw that fits through the middle of the wheel .
    If this doesnt cure the problem then I dont know what will.
    In the meantime the zippo has come out of retirement.
    I struggle to pull the flame down onto the tobacco with he zippo ,it is worst with wider bowls.I find I need to almost rest the lighter on the rim which I am reluctant to do.
    Any ideas?
    Is it a Zippo pipe lighter? If so, try pulling out some more wick.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

yes it is Russ
    thanks for the tip.At the moment the wick is quite short (about 1/8 inch)

edit
    pulled the wick out to about 1/2" works a treat
    A BIG thank you Russ
    Last edited by paulfg; 03-23-2018 at 14:28.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    yes it is Russ
    thanks for the tip.At the moment the wick is quite short (about 1/8 inch)

edit
    pulled the wick out to about 1/2" works a treat
    A BIG thank you Russ
    You're welcome, my friend. Glad it worked out.
    Russ

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

well just an update on the old boy.
    I bought a new striker wheel and found that the wheel on the new one did not rotate on the centre bush seperately as I thought BUT it didnt jam when the screw was tightend so all is good.
    I also ended up replacing the tank/jet assembly as I think I had blocked it using poor quality fuel ,the jet would end up with black soot after only a couple of times being lit.
    Ordered a new tank and some cans of premium butane and now the jet is staying clean and the lighter is much easier to light.
    Thank goodness spares are available for these lighters.
    I ended up repairing it my self as I would have needed to send it to Germany for an authorised repair agent and I didnt want to risk the possibility of it going missing in transit