Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it to be a pipeman?

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What is it to be a pipeman?

What is it to be a pipeman? This question occurred to me while reading another thread. Is it really just another nicotine delivery system, for me, in some ways yes, but in others definitely not.
    Is it absent mindedly puffing on a cob, falcon, basket pipe or other workhorse as you go about the daily grind? Or is it taking a certain amount of care in selecting your pipe and tobacco for a relaxing and thoughtful smoke.
    For me I'd have to say sometimes the former and at other times the latter.
    Is it the variety of often smoking 3 different blends in a day, unlike a cigarette smoker.
    It's taken a while, approaching 2 years of being off the cigarettes to consider myself a confirmed and committed pipeman. But I'm interested to hear what others think.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Interesting question. For me it's the joy of choosing a tobacco and then choose the pipe I want to smoke for a relaxing smoke. ('Thoughtful' is open for debate).
    I can't smoke while I do a lot of other things because I have to concentrate on what I'm doing or else it's incessant relights and foul language.
    I smoke while sitting in my armchair reading a book, writing on this forum or engaged in my favourite smoking-pastime, gazing out the window, daydreaming.

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Pipe smoker since

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Simple answer is that it's a way of life - more important to me than ever in a changing world.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

I usually use the same pipe filled with the same tobacco. I like keeping it simple as it matches my personality.

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Difficult to answer, but I'll try....

For me, smoking a pipe, and the whole ritual that goes along with it, i.e. choosing a tobacco blend, catalog-shopping for new blends to sample, selecting and buying a pipe, etc. isolates me from all the sordid details of everyday life and its many vexations. I am easily distracted and have, sadly, a very short attention span. It seem that no matter how hard I try, no matter what I do, I am interrupted by something or someone.

When sitting on my back deck, I'm lost in a self-imposed reverie. I see nothing. I listen to nothing. I don't want to know nothing..... I feel relaxed, and centered.

Then, a bird craps on my shoulder......

Frank
    NYC

Real Name
    Thomas

For a couple of hours I've tried to think of a classy answer, but all I can say is that pipe tobacco affords the tastiest conveyance.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As someone who is relatively new to pipe smoking, I am still learning and experiencing the art. I've been smoking a pipe for over a year and a half now and just last Saturday evening tried my first English blend (BB1938). I generally only smoke in the evenings when I get a chance, sitting out front in my chair, watching the stars and the planes flying over coming into or out of Sky Harbor airport. It gives me a change to relax and unwind, where I have nothing to consider but tamping from time to time and keeping my pipe lit.

I tried to smoke my pipe while driving in to work, but I feel that trying to do that in rush hour traffic, in an old pickup with a standard transmission, watching 10,000 other idiots making the same drive, is not conducive to a relaxing smoke. Way too many things going on to truly enjoy it, and no time to tamp or relight while driving...not to mention too dangerous.

Last year, the wife and I went camping, and I found that that was a great time to relax with a pipe...Sitting by the lake drowning worms, or sitting by the fire at night, the pipe made the time more enjoyable. It made me think of the people who were coming across the country, on a horse or in a wagon. Wondering what lay ahead, and contemplating their next step. I could see them sitting around a similar fire, smoking a pipe before bed, and looking at the stars above.

Am I a pipeman...I don't feel that I am yet...But someday.
    Last edited by McGyver; 02-01-2018 at 14:47.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Ahhh....What is it to be a pipe man? That's a good question and, as mentioned earlier, will receive any number of answers from pipe smokers. Certainly an appreciation for the art involved in the making of a pipe comes to mind. But I think the smoking of a pipe makes a "pipe man" more than just the pipe alone. Whether a pipe smoker has a cob or a Jess Chonowitsch, there is the learned craft of smoking a pipe that, to me, makes a pipe smoker a pipe man. The way we've taught ourselves how to load a bowl to our liking, learning how to light the tobacco, how to develop preferences for the tobacco that we smoke through the long process of trial and error, knowing what tobacco smokes best in a certain pipe, and learning to smoke slowly so as to appreciate what we smoke instead of simply puffing away. This all goes into becoming, what the pipe author Fred Hanna described, a "competent pipe smoker". But, to me at least, there's something more. Pipe smoking helps to change our inner mood. There is nothing fast about smoking a pipe. Think of the comments about "slowing down" and "relaxing". Whatever we do while smoking a pipe, too, seems to be done more slowly, carefully, and with thought. From the actual act of drawing in, tasting, and blowing out the smoke, there is a slow process involved that is best appreciated when the concerns of our lives are put away allowing us to be in touch with our selves. I believe this is the way of a Pipe Man.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 02-01-2018 at 16:42.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    For a couple of hours I've tried to think of a classy answer, but all I can say is that pipe tobacco affords the tastiest conveyance.
    Thomas sums it up for me, plus it allows us a choice of pipe or tobacco to suit our mood. Was it Kipling who said;
    'To keep ones head calm when all around you has gone to shit'.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

The pipe is my second best friend.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast