Thread: C&D Seersucker

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

C&D Seersucker

I was initially disappointed when I heard C&D would no longer be using Pennsylvania Broadleaf cigar wrapper for their cigar leaf blends. It was rich and powerful and available as a blender. I think the FDA guidelines prohibited them from using it as it wasn't grandfathered in. This new blend of Dominican and Italian cigar tobacco is a great substitute.

The musty and earthy notes of Dominican cigars are present here. The cigar leaf mixes wonderfully with the nutty burley. The spicy/toasty Kentucky shines early on then subsides. I get a slight floral/sour addition from the orientals. Both the Virginias and black cavendish are in the background but form a necessary base to the blend and provide some sweetness. Every component is married pretty well and chocolate, marzipan, and cinnamon notes pop up here and there. Seersucker is a bit too rich for an all day smoke but is a great change of pace in any smoking rotation. I'll definitely get another tin to age.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for the review, Gabe!

I didn't know that C&D were going to discontinue the use of Pennsylvania Broadleaf. Do you remember when that was announced? Does it affect other cigar leaf blends of theirs (Habana Daydream for example)?
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Thanks for the review, Gabe!

I didn't know that C&D were going to discontinue the use of Pennsylvania Broadleaf. Do you remember when that was announced? Does it affect other cigar leaf blends of theirs (Habana Daydream for example)?
    I'm not sure they ever did publicly announce it. A friend of mine visited their factory about a month ago and they explained that the Broadleaf is now being replaced with a mix of Dominican and Italian tobacco. I'm not sure about the fate of older cigar leaf blends

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel~CRT View Post
    I'm not sure they ever did publicly announce it. A friend of mine visited their factory about a month ago and they explained that the Broadleaf is now being replaced with a mix of Dominican and Italian tobacco. I'm not sure about the fate of older cigar leaf blends
    Thanks, Gabe. It's at least good to know that they've found a good substitute leaf to keep the blends going.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks