Thread: P. HOLM - PIPE LON

Real Name
    Dave

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

P. HOLM - PIPE LON

I've been meaning to post about this one. I waited for Chris Hittel to list this pipe, the second of two mid-sixties pipes by Preben Holm; he did, and now it's mine! From Preben Holm,

When I was called up for military service (~1965) I had 18 pieces of these pipes which I was unable to sell. Therefore I left them in my father's shop. One day when I returned home there was big news. An American, called Lon Schwartz had been calling. Lon Schwartz was making a purchase trip for his retail shop in St. Thomas, the Virgin Islands, USA. When he saw the 18 pipes he was very enthusiastic about them and bought them on the spot, placing at the same time orders for everything I could make against being entrusted with the monopoly in the entire U.S.A. When my military service came to an end there was a lot to do.
    The two pipes make an interesting pair. The other pipe is here,

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...hlight=P.+Holm

The pipe is unsmoked. I sent it to Anthony Cook just to give it a quick shine and clean up.

pipelon.jpgpipelon2.jpgpipelon3.jpgpipelon4.jpgpipelon5.jpgpipelon6.jpg

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

In the 60's I don't think that pipe would turn too many heads. I'm just not into that pipe as his many other masterpieces. This one certainly crossed a bridge in the shape department. "4 panel cherrywood?"
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I find both of them gorgeous. Panelled pipes are very hard to make right, and he certainly could. I've never been attracted to Proben Holm until now but I've also never seen anything of his that came even close to either of these pipes.

Congratulations to you

Mark

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a very interesting pipe shape, Dave. The contrasting stain, the paneled bowl and angle of the rim take it to a superior level far beyond anything that could be called a "tankard". Congrats!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm not a fan of most Danish pipes, specifically those wacky freehands that are just a crazy piece of briar with a stem stuck in the end of it (at least to my unschooled eye). But I am not immune to a truly creative take on a classic shape... and BOY is this that. Just a great looking pipe. Congrats!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Congratulations, Dave.
    A great-looking Preben Holm, that one. It'd have made a nice companion to the two, maybe three, Preben Holms, I got.

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dave what a beautiful find!! A fine example of his early work. I hate to ask but how much did they cost for the two of them???

Jon