Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunhill Tobaccos Selling Out

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Honestly, Nigel, it's hard to say. Information has been conflicting, even from previously reliable sources. The president of Dunhill's cigar maker/US distributor says that they are exiting the cigar and pipe tobacco market altogether. Dunhill's brand manager at STG Lane confirms only that the blends will not be available in the US. There has been no official statement whatsoever by either Dunhill or BAT to clarify the matter at all and neither appears willing to confirm anything. The entire thing has been oddly cryptic. So, your guess is as good as mine.
    Interesting info, Anthony. So Dunhill is kinda sorta getting out of the tobacco business? It is cryptic.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Dunghill (?)
    Downhill?

I mean, c'mon! How fun would Downhill Flake be?
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Interesting info, Anthony. So Dunhill is kinda sorta getting out of the tobacco business? It is cryptic.
    Yes no maybe we'll see.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Yes no maybe we'll see.
    And, in the meantime, OUT OF STOCK!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Dunghill (?)
    Sounds intriguing. Something akin to this, maybe.

Merde de Cheval.jpg

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It doesn't look like Dunhill pipe tobaccos are produced in Assens anymore. 18 months ago, the tins read "Made in Denmark", last summer it was "Made in EU/Denmark" and recent tins "Made in EU".
    I've just spent time on STG's homepage and Dunhill is not mentioned in their portfolio at all. Just Erinmore, Stanwell, W.. Larsen and some others. No Dunhill.
    In the '80s I read an article in the Danish magazine 'Piber og Tobak' (Pipes and Tobacco) that Dunhill was to be produced in Germany and this morning I found this interesting article:

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.co...de-in-germany/

So maybe Dunhill has returned to Germany as long as it lasts..?

Last edited by Dunstan Hillwell; 02-26-2018 at 08:04.
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post
    It doesn't look like Dunhill pipe tobaccos are produced in Assens anymore. 18 months ago, the tins read "Made in Denmark", last summer it was "Made in EU/Denmark" and recent tins "Made in EU".
    I've just spent time on STG's homepage and Dunhill is not mentioned in their portfolio at all. Just Erinmore, Stanwell, W.. Larsen and some others. No Dunhill.
    In the '80s I read an article in the Danish magazine 'Piber og Tobak' (Pipes and Tobacco) that Dunhill was to be produced in Germany and this morning I found this interesting article:

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.co...de-in-germany/

So maybe Dunhill has returned to Germany as long as it lasts..?

Good sleuthing, Jesper.

Whatever else may be, it certainly appears that STG isn't part of the pipeline anymore. I suppose it's possible that they're moving to a smaller production scenario that serves only the UK and EU. Only time will tell, because nobody else will apparently.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    From what I know, it is BAT (British-American Tobacco) that is stopping production as Dunhill wants to get out of the smoking business altogether.
    Dunhill Tobacco is owned and not leased by BAT. They are a huge tobacco company and Dunhill Cigarettes are the leading luxury brand in the world.

IMO I doubt BAT would risk the brand image and sell off the pipe tobacco and cigars and I don't think anyone in the pipe tobacco business like STG could ever come close to paying for the name.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

Good sleuthing, Jesper. Whatever else may be, it certainly appears that STG isn't part of the pipeline anymore. I suppose it's possible that they're moving to a smaller production scenario that serves only the UK and EU. Only time will tell, because nobody else will apparently.
    Thanks, Anthony.
    What got me going, was this tin of 'Three Year Matured Virginia' made in EU/Denmark, I just bought from Esterval in Germany. If I read the date code correctly, it was made in January 2017.
    You may very well be correct about the smaller production, but who produces the frigging thing..? For all we know, it could be some slave labourers in caves deep beneath the Jura Mountains.
    All we can do is to lean back, smoke our last tin of Dunhill while we wait.

(Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    Dunhill Tobacco is owned and not leased by BAT.
    That is only partially true. They do indeed own the manufacturing and marketing rights, but the "Dunhill" name itself is under license and has been ever since the brand was first purchased by Carreras in '67.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    They are a huge tobacco company and Dunhill Cigarettes are the leading luxury brand in the world.

IMO I doubt BAT would risk the brand image and sell off the pipe tobacco and cigars and I don't think anyone in the pipe tobacco business like STG could ever come close to paying for the name.
    According to the reports (make of them what you will), BAT has no plans to end production of Dunhill cigarettes, only cigars and pipe tobacco. The cigar thing is a little surprising, but not so much the pipe tobacco. If BAT want to take Dunhill Tobacco into a younger, trendier direction, ( https://www.moodiedavittreport.com/d...ingapore-show/ ) pipes and cigars may be counter to that image.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast