Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McClelland Out-of-Stock Problems

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

McClelland Out-of-Stock Problems

Okay, we know why Dunhill tobaccos are disappearing, but what's happening with McC? I know they source much of their tobacco domestically from the Carolinas (also Virginia and Maryland?), but this is the first time that I can recall so many of their products being out-of-stock with no re-supply for some time now. Perhaps it's because they used up all of the quality leaf they're famous for using? It's been said on another forum that owner Mike McNeil's specifications for raw tobacco leaf are "sky-high" and that he would not process tobacco that doesn't meet them. This may very well be behind the drop in availability. Mike has already decided to shut down production of #5100 Red Cake because of a lack of component quality, so his thinking is "quality over quantity". I also have read that small growers are being squeezed out of business as consolidation of fields takes place by large corporate growers taking over. Perhaps the corporate growers here in the US Eastern tobacco-growing states either can't or won't meet his quality standards. Of course, this is just speculation and I'll have to watch out for further details.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I just read this posting by pipestud on pipesmagazine from last month. Apparently, the lack of a supply of red tobacco used in so many of their blends, is creating a big problem.

"Howdy Gang,

I have been in conversation with Mike and Mary McNiel (owners of McClelland's), over the past couple of days while the two of them were sampling from a 500 pound batch of Red Virginia that they hoped measured up to their standards in order to produce more 5100 Red Cake. Mike called me this morning to say that, unfortunately, after extensive smoking tests in clay, Briar & Meerschaum pipes, the tobacco did not meet their standards and was headed for the trash bin.

Mike asked me this morning to let everyone on the forum know that 5100, after having been sold publicly since 1980, is no more and has been officially retired from the McClelland's lineup. He knew that McClelland's 5100 had been a topic of discussion here and wanted to put an end to all the rumors and guessing. He and Mary also want to thank all of you for your kind comments concerning McClelland's and their 5100, and knew that everyone would understand that he and Mary would not put out a sub-standard product just for the sake of making a few dollars.

Mike also said that quality Red Virginia is becoming extremely difficult to locate these days and that he doesn't expect that will improve any time soon. What this means regarding the future of great tobacco blends that use Red Virginia, I don't know. I sure hope that beautiful sweet red stuff isn't headed the way of Syrian Latakia.

Pipestud"
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

You are correct Russ. I don't know about the US but here in Canada we had 380,000 farmers in 2005, latest number is 193,000. Culprit - corporations being the only ones' flush with the money to buy up the land. It is a concern so much so that the College I worked for is in joint studies regarding the future of crop prices and cartels.

Our poultry and dairy farming is protected by marketing boards which stabilize prices. But the prices for cash crops fluctuate widely despite the prices on the Chicago Board of Trade.
    Recently we had a case of price fixing on bread of all things ,,,,,grains went down bread went up with the co-operation of mass wheat producers.

I'm not sure but I don't think the corps are going to have the same pride, quality and commitment than old Mr. Green Jeans.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Nigel
    Pipe smoker since
    approx 20 years

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This is what I read elsewhere recently
    A source close to the company just told me that Mike will soon announce the dissolution of the business and they will make no more tobacco. This comes not as a result of the FDA but the fact that the quality leaf is now too difficult to obtain.
    I don't like to post rumour as fact, it may be incorrect, there has been nothing from the McNiels by way of denial or confirmation. Talk has been that they are looking to retire and it may just be that talk of this has caused panic buying hence the OOS signs everywhere on their products. Time will tell in due course.
    Regards,

Nigel

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelP View Post
    This is what I read elsewhere recently

I don't like to post rumour as fact, it may be incorrect, there has been nothing from the McNiels by way of denial or confirmation. Talk has been that they are looking to retire and it may just be that talk of this has caused panic buying hence the OOS signs everywhere on their products. Time will tell in due course.
    That would be a tragic loss to pipe smokers everywhere who have come to love their blends.
    Russ

The rumor that is now out widely in public is that they are retiring with no interest in selling the company and it's legacy and ending production as they run out of leaf. I don't know what will happen but I know it's more than a bad crop. I was told about this privately in early December and stocked up then.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    The rumor that is now out widely in public is that they are retiring with no interest in selling the company and it's legacy and ending production as they run out of leaf. I don't know what will happen but I know it's more than a bad crop. I was told about this privately in early December and stocked up then.
    Perhaps production has stopped, but I'll only go with an official announcement instead of unconfirmed speculation at this point. In the meantime, a major hole has been blown in my rotation.
    Russ

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

From Dan Johnson (Woodsroad at pipemag) of Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania,
    I just got off the phone with Mary McNiel. I had left them a message earlier in the day and she was kind enough to call me back. Mary is undoubtedly one of the nicest (and most knowledgeable) people in the tobacco industry. We had a wide-ranging discussion on how the industry has changed over the past decade or so: The removal of government price supports, the farmer buyouts, the demise of the auction system, all of which has led to an overall decline in the quality, availability and diversity of tobacco available to McClelland. Then there's the FDA, and the great regulatory and financial burdens it will place on them. Up to a half million dollars to get all of their blends tested to meet FDA regulations. And if they suspend production of a blend (due to not having the right leaf available, as in the situation with 5100) they may not be able to resume production without going through the FDA approval process for new products.

In the end, Mary and Mike have made the decision to close their doors. The exact timing isn't known to them as of yet, as they are still tinning blends that they have in stock. But they do not foresee much, if any, additional production. "We look at the burdens that lie ahead with the FDA. What does the future hold?" Mary told me, "We're just going to close the doors".

Mary and Mike, I wish you the very best in your retirement. Move forward, knowing that you have brought over 40 years of happiness and pleasure to pipe smokers around the world. You will be missed, but you will always be deeply appreciated for bringing us extraordinary and unique blends, pipe tobacco like no one else makes, now and forever.
    I'm sure, knowing Dan, he cleared posting this information with Mary McNeil. So there you have it.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

This is indeed sad news. McClelland's has been know for their famous blends, particularly the VAs, but I understand the situation. It is the end of an era and a major loss to the pipe smoking community, especially with the demise of Dunhill. I do wish Mike and Mary McNiel the best and thank them for their wonderful tobaccos.
    Russ

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    So there you have it.
    That puts the nail in the coffin, I suppose. A sad day, indeed, but they did good by us while they were around and I wish them a happy retirement.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast