Thread: Review - MacBaren Virginia Flake.

Real Name
    Duncan
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Review - MacBaren Virginia Flake.

I've had this tin for a while now but only recently smoked it. A very light Virginia that could be smoked everyday.
    https://youtu.be/jyvMgBeMBAo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimbo44; 03-06-2018 at 17:23. Reason: spelling in title

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good review, Duncan! I got a tin of this in error on one of my orders (I had ordered some Vanilla Cream Flake), but I wasn't disappointed since I enjoy their Virginia No. 1 - essentially the ready-rubbed version - anyway. It seems to have a little more depth than No. 1, but I'd expect that from a flake. It has its own personality among light Virginia flakes, and tastes a bit sweeter and just a bit sharper than something like Capstan or Dunhill Flake, but I like that about it.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a nice pipe Duncan.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

I enjoyed the review, too, so thanks for taking the time. I don't tend to smoke straight Virginias through a filter because, to my taste, that takes too much of the flavour away. Some of my own mixes turn out a bit harsh and are made palatable by the filter.

Your pipe in the review is an Oldenkott, if I heard you right. Those were made in Rees in the Lower Rhine region, not too far from where I live. The factory was closed in the 1980s, so your pipe must be some 30 years old at least. Oldenkotts have a good reputation among German pipe smokers, and when I learned my pipe smoking on German forums, advice for people new to the hobby was that Oldenkott is a solid brand to buy.

I am quite sure that your pipe is drilled to take 9mm filters, as that's the standard size, and just a minority of pipes that I have seen, mostly Savinellis, take 6mm. All Oldenkott pipes I have seen take 9mm.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Duncan
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

I enjoyed the review, too, so thanks for taking the time. I don't tend to smoke straight Virginias through a filter because, to my taste, that takes too much of the flavour away. Some of my own mixes turn out a bit harsh and are made palatable by the filter.

Your pipe in the review is an Oldenkott, if I heard you right. Those were made in Rees in the Lower Rhine region, not too far from where I live. The factory was closed in the 1980s, so your pipe must be some 30 years old at least. Oldenkotts have a good reputation among German pipe smokers, and when I learned my pipe smoking on German forums, advice for people new to the hobby was that Oldenkott is a solid brand to buy.

I am quite sure that your pipe is drilled to take 9mm filters, as that's the standard size, and just a minority of pipes that I have seen, mostly Savinellis, take 6mm. All Oldenkott pipes I have seen take 9mm.

Best wishes
    Markus
    Wow really interesting. I had no idea about this pipe other than I liked it. Always god to know, I'll treasure it more now I know that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

Best wishes
    Markus
    The 6mm filters are more the standard here in the United States, and Savinelli does make a lot of them. They have a 9mm balsa filter size as well, though I mostly see those listed when I visit online retailers or ebay sellers based in Europe and Britain. I would guess that Dr. Grabow and Medico historically set that standard with their paper filter systems, and we Yanks just got used to it.

Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club