Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Tobacco are You Now Putting in Your Cellar?

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What Tobacco are You Now Putting in Your Cellar?

I have a couple of fresh tins of DF that I may not crack open, so they'll be going in. And, if Wessex Brown VA Flake ever comes back into stock, I'll get a tin to tuck away as well.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Funny you should bring this up as I found the link below late last night.

My answer is none at the moment. I overspent my budget before I retired in '14 as I knew budgets would be tight. I have about 15 lbs total of many different tobaccos which at the time seemed to satisfy the need to open something different in retirement without having to purchase more. I do have around 4 lbs of the stuff I really love to smoke and that may not be enough. So if you have a cellar strategy you might want to narrow the choices to pet blends. Will what I have last me.

Here's how to calculate.

"The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

That's what I'm doing, Bill, cellaring my pet blends. My cellar strategy isn't as a hedge against future lack of availability, except for DF and DDF, but to age them with a target of five years before cracking one open. That is if I can keep my mitts off of them!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

I'm valiantly trying to cut down the number of blends in the cellar drawer. I'd rather plow deep than wide at this stage.

My main players are:
    Bayou Morning
    Ye Olde Signe
    War Horse Ready Cut
    Irish Whiskey
    Dark Bird's Eye
    McConnell Lat Flake
    Dark Flake u/s
    Brown Twist Sliced
    SG Lakeland Dark
    Tilbury
    Dunbar
    St. Bruno RR
    Condor RR
    Various British Plugs (Warrior, Velvan, Yachtsman, Condor)

I've got some Penzance, Wessex Brown, BBF, and BB1938 that I'll likely never get to. PM me if you want some...
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've focused mostly on C&D and Samuel Gawith in the cellar so far. I'd like to add a pound box of Mac Baren Pure Virginia and Navy Flake then I ought to be satisfied for a while

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

To be honest I've never been one who keeps tobacco for long periods on purpose.....until I found Sayri twist that is. I like it so much and with it being so ridiculously inexpensive it would be silly not to just in case it no longer becomes available. I still have some of the first kilo I bought and the second kilo is more or less intact.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    To be honest I've never been one who keeps tobacco for long periods on purpose.....
    I really didn't put any importance on it either until the FDA injected cold fear into my spine. With any luck, I have a few decades of pipe smoking pleasure left and I'd rather that my tobacco not run out before I do. So, I've been mostly concentrating on bulk blends because that's the fastest, easiest, and most economical way to cellar deeply. The ones that I've been concentrating on are...

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed
    Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
    Peter Stokkeby Luxury Navy Flake
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
    Cornell & Diehl Big 'n' Burley
    Cornell & Diehl Crooner
    Cornell & Diehl Exclusive
    Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz
    Cornell & Diehl Three Friars
    Cornell & Diehl Virginia Gentleman
    Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake
    Newminster No. 400 Superior Round Slices
    Sutliff Voodoo Queen
    Grand Croupier Double Down
    Grand Croupier Boneyard

I really need to start stocking up on some Gawith Hoggarth bulk blends, but I'm still working my through the catalog and having difficulty settling on only three or four blends to focus on.

I always double up tin purchases even when it's something new to me; some for now (or nearly now) and some for later. The plan is to have enough of the bulks above on hand for everyday smokes and weave the tins and smaller amounts of random bulks in for variety. I think I could go on quite happily that way.

[...] until I found Sayri twist that is. I like it so much and with it being so ridiculously inexpensive it would be silly not to just in case it no longer becomes available. I still have some of the first kilo I bought and the second kilo is more or less intact.
    I know that you mentioned before that there was a way to order Sayri online, but I looked around the site and couldn't find it. The only thing that I could find was a place for dealer inquiries. Then again, it could be that I'm either blind or an idiot.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Dave

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I think I've made my last "cellar" purchase; two weeks ago, 15 tins of Dunhill Flake. I started buying more different makers, and varieties of tobaccos back in 2012, because I figured it wasn't going to be getting any cheaper. A few tins here, a few tins there, and then a few more tins here and there, and then a few more tins...you get the picture; different blenders and types. How much is there...that's classified. (read, it would be a little embarrassing to say...)

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I know that you mentioned before that there was a way to order Sayri online, but I looked around the site and couldn't find it. The only thing that I could find was a place for dealer inquiries. Then again, it could be that I'm either blind or an idiot.
    You're neither Anthony. They don't have an online shop even for domestic customers. I just email my order then make payment using bank transfer soon as I have collected it from the couriers. No idea how it'll work for foreign customers but I was told they do send worldwide.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You're neither Anthony. They don't have an online shop even for domestic customers. I just email my order then make payment using bank transfer soon as I have collected it from the couriers. No idea how it'll work for foreign customers but I was told they do send worldwide.
    Thanks, Crawford. I'll shoot them an email and see what happens. If I can successfully place an order, I'll let them know that they owe you a commission fee.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast