Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Tobacco are You Now Putting in Your Cellar?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    How much [...] would be a little embarrassing to say...)
    Maybe not. I've figured that I have at least 40 years of pipe smoking left in me barring unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances. If I consume eight ounces of tobacco per month (which I think is actually a little less than my current consumption), I'll need at least 240 pounds of tobacco on hand to take me through. Considering that government regulation are starting to get seriously strict and several well established blenders and B&Ms have decided to close up shop lately, that might not be possible without some serious hoarding.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Dave

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

OK. Best guesstimate, between 1000-1200 tins, plus 50-75 8oz bags?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

OK. Best guesstimate, between 1000-1200 tins, plus 50-75 8oz bags?
    So, if we keep to the same eight ounce per month consumption rate, that's about 28 years worth of tobacco if you were stop buying right now. Given the current sociopolitical climate, that seems very reasonable to me.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Dave

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    So, if we keep to the same eight ounce per month consumption rate, that's about 28 years worth of tobacco if you were stop buying right now. Given the current sociopolitical climate, that seems very reasonable to me.
    That gets me to age 85...hmmmm. There is however, a pound of Double Down, 400g of Frog Morton, and 100g of Solani 633 out for delivery today.

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

Wow, you two are serious smokers!

Since I cut down to two pipes of 5 gm each per week, my annual consumption is about 500 gm now. And even if I were excessively optimistic, I am 75 and doubt I will exceed 100. so 12.5 kg Max. Ive probably cellared at least half of that already because I tend to buy 250-500 g of each tobacco I like.

Dave, is it too personal to ask where you found the space for 1000 tins?

Real Name
    Dave

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dave, is it too personal to ask where you found the space for 1000 tins?
    Quick answer, I haven't. I'll have to take some pictures.

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

I havent found any permanent solution for mine either. In the box room I have four cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other stuffed with tins from GLP, McLelland and HU. Then there are two shelves in a cabinet with more tins from Dunhill, Three Nuns, Golden Slices, Escudo, and others. Then I have a shelf in the kitchen pantry full of canning jars with English flakes and plugs, plus another drawer in a cabinet with other odds and ends. Oh, and then there are the active jars and tins on one corner of the kitchen counters.

Im amazed my wife puts up with me.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

I really didn't put any importance on it either until the FDA injected cold fear into my spine.
    Preach.

I've been mostly concentrating on bulk blends because that's the fastest, easiest, and most economical way to cellar deeply.
    I'd love to buy some of those 1 and 1.5 pound boxes of various Mac Baren and Stokkebye blends to quickly and cheaply bulk up my cellar. Unfortunately Canada Customs would use that opportunity to quickly bulk up their coffers with my money. It simply can't be done up here. Although now that I think about it, it might be worth the risk of doing a trial run/order from one of the online tobacconists who *understands the challenges of Canadian pipe smokers* to see if it passes through Customs without inspection. If it does get nabbed and levied with fees (jeez, I don't even want to think about what that bill would look like) then I could just refuse the delivery, return to sender for refund, and all I'd be out is the shipping charge. Hmmm...

I really need to start stocking up on some Gawith Hoggarth bulk blends, but I'm still working my through the catalog and having difficulty settling on only three or four blends to focus on.
    I'm in the same boat. Another thing to consider is the likely possibility that their unique flavourings and scents don't fare well with age. I've read many posts on many forums about GH&Co.'s (in)famous Lakeland character fading in time. While that might be a good thing for some people, it'd be a tragedy for me. The sharp and pungent florals, tonka and whatever else is in there are why I love Ennerdale, Grasmere, Kendal, No. 7 Broken, Bosun, Coniston, Brown and Dark Flake Scented so much. Loading up the cellar with years' worth of that stuff might not be a good idea. As it is, I've decided to largely eschew my cellar stocks of Va, VaPer, VaPerBur and Burley--in short, anything not scented/aromatic--until I smoke through most of my blends whose excellence pivots on the strength and character of their aromatic components, e.g. Revor, Stonehaven, Condor, St. Bruno, all the STG-made plugs, most GH&Co., Hyde Park, Dreams of Kadath, Anniversary Kake, many of my fave HU blends, 1792 and Kendal Cream Deluxe. You get the picture. I would love to have pounds and pounds of all this stuff in my cellar but it's just too much of a risk.

Anyways, this is what I'm putting in my cellar today.

38961705540_44f1804fa8_z.jpg

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quick answer, I haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by achtman View Post
    I havent found any permanent solution for mine either. In the box room I have four cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other stuffed with tins from GLP, McLelland and HU. Then there are two shelves in a cabinet with more tins from Dunhill, Three Nuns, Golden Slices, Escudo, and others. Then I have a shelf in the kitchen pantry full of canning jars with English flakes and plugs, plus another drawer in a cabinet with other odds and ends. Oh, and then there are the active jars and tins on one corner of the kitchen counters.

Im amazed my wife puts up with me.
    I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-149...2+qt+sterilite

They accommodate tins and any jars up to 12 ounces in size. They're designed to nest securely when stacked, which can help save space.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-149...2+qt+sterilite

They accommodate tins and any jars up to 12 ounces in size. They're designed to nest securely when stacked, which can help save space.
    What do you use to/how do you store bulk tobacco?
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast