Thread: Clifton estate

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Clifton estate

I snagged this Hall & Fitzgerald-made Clifton Deluxe (not sure what shape/pattern it would be called) off eBay four weeks ago and it finally arrived today. Despite the many surprises that came along with this pipe, I'm very happy with it overall.

38981440170_ef2871496d_z.jpg

Surprise #1: Four weeks delivery from Italy. My James Fox/Pipe Divan tobacco orders from Dublin usually get here in under one week. But ultimately no biggie, I can live with that.

Surprise #2: Choice of mailing package. I'll let the pics speak for themselves. Or maybe that is common mailing practice for estate pipes? I don't know, it's only my second one.

40749150352_ccd2bfbcff_z.jpg

40791486301_821eefb925_z.jpg

Surprise #3: The size. It's tiny. Smallest pipe I've ever seen in person. I should have learned after my last eBay pipe purchase (which was my first) to do some homework or ask some questions about the size and condition, but no, I see, I like, I buy. But again, I can live it, especially since I really do need a small pipe in my rotation. I'll probably be dedicating this one to SG 1792 Flake.

Positioned next to a Medley, which was the first pipe I ever bought off the bay and surprised the heck out of me with its massive size.

40791415231_6aa2d72e14_z.jpg

There's definitely some perspective/position bias going on in that last pic so here's one with the pipes' position swapped. The Clifton is still tiny, though.

39896678245_58bca59fc5_z.jpg

Surprise #4: Crack in shank. The patchwork to attempt (I say attempt b/c I won't know if it worked until I smoke it) to fix it is clearly visible, but the hairline crack itself can be seen if zoomed in on. Given the size of the pipe, the shank diameter is very thin with hardly any wood there to work with, so a crack is really not all that surprising. I hope to send it off to someone to have a band put on it for reinforcement, otherwise I'd be nervous every time I remove the stem for cleaning. Any takers? Anthony? John? Sorry, not sure if you guys take customers. Also, I'd like to have the stem restored by whoever ends up doing the shank band work.

39896659125_aa8c749d5f_z.jpg

One last parting observation. The Clifton looks to have the exact same shape and proportions as this Dunhill that's currently up for auction on eBay. Does anyone know if Dunhills were ever made by Hall & Fitzgerald?

Dunhill.jpg
    Last edited by KarlMaldensNose; 03-13-2018 at 20:10.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That is a handsome little pipe and I'd call the shape an 'Apple'. A repair ring would look nice on it.
    Great find; congratulations, Jason.

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I like it, nice little Apple shape, and IMHO, because of the longer stem with its flair towards the button, is more elegant than the Dunhill. Although the Dunhill in the picture doesn't appear to have an original stem, unless it's on upside down.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

I couldn't find much info about Hall & Fitzgerald on Pipedia and it seems to be an obscure Italian maker. I like the pipe, Jason, and a shank repair band plus the stem work will that you mentioned will bring it right back. Congrats on a new one!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A very nice pipe with lovely grain, Jason. Congrats!

Some information on the maker from Jon Guss:

"Hall & Fitzgerald had a number of pipes called Clifton; they were named for the company's factory, located at Clifton Works in Bristol.

[...]

Over the course of the 1930s Hall & Fitzgerald began to use "Clifton" as an umbrella brand for their pipes. To start with, from 1930-33 the Clifton name was only used for one pipe, the Clifton De Luxe. That was a moderately priced offering at just 3 shillings 6 pence. Many other pipes were sold by H&F, of course, just not under the Clifton name.

In 1934 H&F began spreading the Clifton brand over several other pipes, including the Clifton New Age and the Clifton Vintage (both priced at 5/6), and the Clifton Certex sold at 3/6. The next year they began moving the Clifton pipes higher up in their line; in 1935 they added the Clifton Classic, priced at 7/6. They did the same thing in 1936, this time adding the Clifton Extra Quality priced at 10/6.

By 1938 the Clifton line had expanded from five pipes to eight when H&F added a Clifton New Age Phantom Streamline at 5/6, a Phantom at 2/6, and a Phantom Streamline at 2/6.

By the time the war broke out yet another four pipes had been added, including a Clifton Golden Grid (Super Grade) at 5/6, a Golden Grid Rustic and Standard each at 3/6, and a Service at 2/6.

H&F disappeared from price books during the war; not uncommon since many manufacturers failed to see the value in advertising goods that the consequences of the war prevented them from making (e.g. briar and vulcanite supply issues; production redirection to support the war effort; etc). But by 1949 the Clifton line had re-emerged, although significantly pruned back; this pruning perhaps reflected both the fact that briar was still hard to get, and a general decline in pipe smoking that was beginning to be felt in the UK and abroad. At any rate by then the Clifton brand was reduced to the Classic, now priced at 30/-, the New Age (25/-), the Dental Deluxe (3/-), the Golden Grid (2/-), and a few others.

You'll notice no "Corniche" in all of this. The price lists I consulted only go up through 1954, and the Clifton Corniche had yet to make its appearance in that time period. This is certainly consistent with the 1960s dating on the pipe suggested by the seller."

Source: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topi...sh-estate-pipe

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMaldensNose View Post
    [...] not sure what shape/pattern it would be called [...]
    A classic example of a straight apple.

Or maybe that is common mailing practice for estate pipes?
    Not common, but it happens. That looks like it might be a bubble mailer at least. I once received one in a plain, unpadded, paper envelope.

Any takers? Anthony? John? Sorry, not sure if you guys take customers. Also, I'd like to have the stem restored by whoever ends up doing the shank band work.
    I'd love to help you out, Jason, but I'm full to the gills at the moment and not taking new work until I cut down the queue a bit.

One last parting observation. The Clifton looks to have the exact same shape and proportions as this Dunhill that's currently up for auction on eBay. Does anyone know if Dunhills were ever made by Hall & Fitzgerald?
    As far as I know, no Dunhill-branded pipes were ever made outside of Dunhill's own factories except for those made by Blatter & Blatter for the Canadian market. They could have both bought unfinished stummels from the same French factory though.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Your post sure beats the pants off of my pipedia information, Anthony.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Your post sure beats the pants off of my pipedia information, Anthony.
    Jon's a treasure. He is the walking, talking Pipedia.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

What a elegant looking pipe, definitely merits a restoration job!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Very classy, I agree with Simon. Take it from me, you will be very surprised how those disheartening revelations when it was delivered to you can be erased by restoration. I assume the seller never mentioned them because he didn't know that he himself could do it and get much more for the pipe. So on the + side you come out a winner.

@Anthony .......great post, I learned something new which I try to do at least once a day.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

I appreciate the kind words, guys.

Anthony, that's one hell of a post. Thank-you very much! I couldn't find much on Cliftons myself so that was great. Pictures of them online certainly are not plentiful but I did track down this one of a Clifton Dental Deluxe, one that was mentioned in your post. Never seen a button quite like it and it explains the name Dental Deluxe.

interesting-bristol-made-clifton_360_16e0675e45c8901a158d1ce6bc7dc838 (1).jpg