Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting to the Post-Dunhill, Post-McClelland World

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    However I like Dunhill Nightcap and 965 I will need to find replacements
    The Lane rep told me at last weekends NY Pipe Convention what I always figured will happen that the STG made Dunhill mixtures will continue under new names when they run out of stock.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    The Lane rep told me at last weekends NY Pipe Convention what I always figured will happen that the STG made Dunhill mixtures will continue under new names when they run out of stock.
    Very interesting! I was wondering if this would happen and let's hope that is does. Thanks for the info, Dave!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As I said in another post, it is always a shame coming in at the end of an era...But at least I will be able to get the BB1938 for a bit longer and create a stockpile. As for the McC...I will save my two tins of Frog Morton original and large tin of Cellar...Give them time to age a bit then try them.

Already, they are starting to show up on Fleabay for sale, heck there was even an opened tin that someone was trying to sell. I would have a hard time buying something that one, is unsealed and two, cannot be verified as being the actual content it should be. Seems like a way for someone to fill a tin with Prince Albert and try and pass it off to some unsuspecting buyer.

Which leads me to ask, what would be a close copy of either of the Frogs...As I haven't tried either yet, I have nothing to compare to. So far I am liking the BB1938. While I only smoke it outside (so as not to draw the ire of the lady of the house), I find it a very nice mellow smoke that is not overpowering, something to enjoy when you just want to relax. Sounds good the next time I go fishing! Hopefully there is a close copy of the Frogs...because if they are as good or better than the BB1938...It will definitely be a sad day in Mudville when I have to open them up.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Huub Hendrikx View Post
    Hello Jesper...
    ...The McClelland-tobaccos were in Europe for sale.
    In Switzerland were two shops (one in Zurich and one in Kreutzlingen ) where many McClelland blends were available.
    Hello Huub
    I checked a Swiss homepage a couple of months ago for some other American tobacco, but their prices were prohibitive, at least for my income.
    I wasn't looking for McClellands at the time, but when I was, I just checked my normal German suppliers. Close, but no tobacco.

Last edited by Dunstan Hillwell; 03-19-2018 at 23:25.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    As I said in another post, it is always a shame coming in at the end of an era...
    LoL! this latest end of an era is nothing compared to when Murray closed and transferred production (and left the US market in '05). Have you checked out Ye Olde's for McClelland? They've probably been cleaned out but it's worth a look (don't call just stop in, look, buy some other tins and then ask). You never know I just found a few dusty tin$ of Across The Pond in a shop a month ago.

PS there's really nothing else like McClellands tobacco but then again I was not a big fan.
    Last edited by daveinlax; 03-22-2018 at 01:00.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I was able to acquire a large tin of Frog Morton Original the other day. Stopped in at a B&M store that I haven't been in before and they had it sitting on the shelf...They said someone had called in over a week ago to hold it, but that person never came in...So now it is in my cellar. Now I don't have as much anxiety about opening one of the small tins at a later date.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    I was able to acquire a large tin of Frog Morton Original the other day. Stopped in at a B&M store that I haven't been in before and they had it sitting on the shelf...They said someone had called in over a week ago to hold it, but that person never came in...So now it is in my cellar. Now I don't have as much anxiety about opening one of the small tins at a later date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12