Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grousemoor

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Grousemoor

Over the years I've come to really appreciate those "Lakeland" style scented blends like St. Bruno, the mighty Condor, and a myriad of examples from GH&Co: Coniston Cut Plug, Bosun, Ennerdale, Grasmere, Kendal Flake etc. But I never really tried that notorious SG Grousemoor blend.

Til now. The reviews on TR just made me think that I HAD to try this stuff someday-- and so why not today?

Gentlemen this is some bizarre leaf. Purportedly a 200 year old recipe and I can believe it. An intensely golden ribbon, there's an ancient scent to this that is complicated and kind of amazing. Something from a long gone golden age of perfumerie. I'm not one for waxing long on nuances, but I'll make an exception here. Lemongrass? Sure. But also tangerine, lemon, pine, vanilla, butterscotch, musk (if I'm not mistaken), rosemary maybe, and other smells that have me stumped. I will say that in addition to Grandma's knickers there's also a slight whiff of Grandma herself if you know what I mean. The combination is synergistically ginormous and once you add the steamed, stoved bright bright BRIGHT Virginias you've got yourself a convoy.

I didn't quite know what to make of it smoked moist and straight out of the tin but I knew I had to try it again. Drying it out overnight and loading it into a meerschaum did the trick. Haunting compelling tobacco. Eyes rolling in the back of my head delicious. Likely too intense to smoke all day every day but that's kinda how I feel after each bowl. And the aftertaste lasts hours. Now I just have to wait til somebody has it in stock. I'm loading up on this bad boy.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for the great review.
    Marc

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Fantastic review, Billy! You kept me guessing until the end about whether you actually liked it or not.

Grousemoor is one of my favorites among the "Lakeland essence" blends. Though, in my opinion, it only barely fits in the genre. I get much more of a dried, fermented fruit flavor from Grousemoor than perfumy florals. It kind of reminds me of tart, slightly sour, unsweetened fruit roll-ups that you get from the health food store. Whatever it is, it's unique; a blend unto itself.

I'm surprised that you had any luck with it at all straight out of the tin. That's some moist stuff. I usually give mine a good, long drying time.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Fantastic review, Billy! You kept me guessing until the end about whether you actually liked it or not.

Grousemoor is one of my favorites among the "Lakeland essence" blends. Though, in my opinion, it only barely fits in the genre. I get much more of a dried, fermented fruit flavor from Grousemoor than perfumy florals. It kind of reminds me of tart, slightly sour, unsweetened fruit roll-ups that you get from the health food store. Whatever it is, it's unique; a blend unto itself.

I'm surprised that you had any luck with it at all straight out of the tin. That's some moist stuff. I usually give mine a good, long drying time.
    I agree with Anthony, it's a Lakeland, but not the kind of perfume-y, soapy Lakeland that skeptics decry. The floral element is there, but the essences are bright, crisp, and done with a light hand, allowing the very light, citrus-y Virginia to contribute it's flavor in spades.

The worst thing I can say about it is that it is nearly fireproof if you try smoking it in a briar straight from the tin. You could get blisters on your thumb from flicking your Bic here. My friend Andy Lowry told me to try smoking it in a cob, and that does help after some drying. I think it takes a more firm pack to keep it going, but you have to be careful to sip and not to heat up your pipe if you do. Frankly, I wish we could get the plug more readily here, as I found it much easier to deal with.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Dave

Good review Billy. I hadn't really noticed, but SG tobaccos are pretty thin on the ground here at the moment!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

all those spices ......sounds like my wife's stew. I betcha rosewater is in there too, just like Stonehaven. I also like blends that give you the reminisces of a good smoke. Good review, I haven't heard you so excited about a blend in awhile.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great review, Billy. I've only tried a little sample bag, but that tobacco made it to my next to-order list.
    (My Grandmother died when I was 2, so I don't really recall her knickers nor herself).

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Pipe smoker since

My local B&M bought it in bulk and re-labelled it "May Morning" - seemed appropriate?
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Interestingly I tried Grousemoor yesterday for the first time. I was sent a sample along with a sample of Dunhill 965 when I ordered from Estervals pipe house in Germany.
    It was still maybe a little moist and took quite some getting going but afterwards I really enjoyed it.
    I didn't notice the floral much, but I do smoke quite a lot of Ennerdale and Bosun, and don't really find them overpowering.
    I plan to dry out the remaining sample, and will probably order some on my next UK order

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I once did try using 50g of Grousemoor as the aromatic component in my ongoing Homebrew; result - 1.5 lb. of Grousemoor!
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast