Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tongue bite. How's the Petersen system?

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tongue bite. How's the Petersen system?

I tend to puff too vigorously and get tongue bite.
    I've been reading about the Petersen pipe and it's "system." It seems logical but looks like it would be a bitch to clean.

Anyone pro or con on the Petersens?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Cotton swabs, folded pipe cleaners, etc. work just fine to clean out the well of system pipes. No trouble at all. I've even heard of some system smokers putting a small cotton ball wad into the well that they just dump after the smoke.

That said, don't expect any pipe to fix the problem of bad technique. That's your job.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Today, I'm gonna experiment. I notice that the filters I cut down to Savinelli length (well ALL medico filters I guess) seem to vary in density and ....I think.... cause excess "suckiness."
    Or not. ??

Anyhow, I'm going to smoke my first pipe today WITHOUT A FILTER !!!

Sacrilege, I know...so pray for me.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

While some prefer filters in their pipes, most seasoned pipemen do not (apologies to those who do). So it's a sign of progress in the eternal learning curve that is pipe smoking that you're trying it without. Filters can help with moisture but I'm not sure if they address bite or not.

In my opinion Peterson systems do not cure tongue bite-- they just move it to the roof of your mouth. That being said they are only a little fiddly to clean and seem to smooth out some of the rough edges of cantankerous blends. I have one.

For tongue bite issues I'd first examine how much you're drying your tobacco and how you are packing it. And of course what the blend is.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Keep in mind also that system pipes are not designed to reduce the moisture that exits the pipe. They are intended to stop the collected moisture in the stem from flowing back into the bowl, a particular problem with deeply bent pipes.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    Anyhow, I'm going to smoke my first pipe today WITHOUT A FILTER !!!
    I have smoked Medicos without filters for years. When I did use them it was always hit and run about when to change the filter. If you went one bowl too far the filter turned the whole pipe sour.

Now believe it or not this may be a solution to the tongue bite as you will get a lot of smoke drawn with little effort without the filter.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

So it seems. One bowl and it's purty gooooood.

I do feel like a traitor though.

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hey..... CHURCHWARDEN !!

Huh? Maybe? Huh, huh, huh?

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Cotton swabs, folded pipe cleaners, etc. work just fine to clean out the well of system pipes. No trouble at all. I've even heard of some system smokers putting a small cotton ball wad into the well that they just dump after the smoke.

That said, don't expect any pipe to fix the problem of bad technique. That's your job.
    The filter could be acting as an impediment resulting in your drawing harder, overheating the tobacco, and giving you tongue bite. Without the filter and with a wide-open flow, may want to pay a bit more attention to your draw strength and cadence. Try "sipping" the pipe with shorter draws and at less frequent intervals so as not to make the tobacco burn hot. You'll find that you will have to relight the pipes a bit more often but that's not a big deal and over time you'll find what works for you.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

I used get tongue bite a lot when I smoked heavy aromatics and to a lesser extent blends which were lightly flavoured. Since smoking Sayri twist which I suspect is as pure a tobacco as you're ever likely to get it stopped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast