Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tongue bite. How's the Petersen system?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
    The pipe cleaner does not go inside the mouth piece. Very bad workmanship.
    I've had one Savinelli Dry System pipe. A pipe cleaner will go in, but it's a pain to make it happen. The draft hole in the button is drilled at a much more extreme angle than Peterson's P-lip. So, you have to bend the tip of the cleaner and "hook" it in to get it started. However, the airway through the stem is a bit wider than most P-lip stems and the draw is better in my opinion.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Never heard of the Sav "dry system" Thanks for info.
    I looked them up on P&C and found a review that said

I quit curved pipes for the tobackky soup issue and only smoke straights now.
    Are your drys easy to clean?
    They are about like a p-lip. Sometimes you have to turn the pipe cleaner a hair to thread through easily. In my limited experience, this is a non-issue.

They make "well" pipes with standard fishtail bits, of that part of the design is what appeals. I have never had problems with the moisture/soup issue, so I am not not sure if it will help...
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Is "relocated irritation" like getting a crappy neighbor to move away?
    Heh - it might be more like forgetting the oven mitt and burning your hand on the handle of the cast iron skillet. So then you use the left hand and burn that one too.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

I have close to 20 Peterson system pipes and I like them a lot for their classic looks, but I don't think they do anything concerning smoking comfort that any other pipe I have can't do.

The P-lip relocates the irritation if you happen to get irritation, but the crappy neighbour won't move out of the house, just to a higher floor of the house.

More important factors include the humidity of the tobacco and how firmly you pack the pipe. Too dry, and it might bite you, too wet and it might bite you, and the same with a loose or tight pack. And the problem is that you might have to find out anew for each tobacco blend how wet or dry, and firm or loose, is too much. One extreme example is Germain's Brown Flake or Medium Flake, one of the two in any case. When I once opened a tin, it felt almost dripping wet, but I filled the pipe normally and it smoked with no bite at all.

I do believe though, that it's not just the tobacco and the smoker that matter, but the pipe as well. Sometimes a pipe smokes certain tobaccos smoothly but bites with others. So for a long time I have tried pipes first with a straight Virginia, and when it bit my tongue, I tried something else, such as a Latakia blend. I basically allowed the pipe to tell me what it wanted to be smoked with.

Many tobaccos added to Virginias in a blend actually, beyond changing the flavour, serve the function of muting the Virginia's bite, be it Perique or Latakia. But Black Cavendish, a small addition of twist or Kentucky, can have the same effect. I think I read as much at some point, but I certainly found it out myself in the plenty of home blending that I have done.

Finally, I live in the country where the 9mm charcoal filter is perhaps the most popular. Here in Germany, heavy aromatics happen to be very popular as well. It's a chicken or egg question perhaps, if the aromatics are so heavily flavoured to get some flavour through the filter, or whether the filters were introduced because the sauces added to those tobaccos were such a pain in the mouth. In the German pipe forums, filter use is a classic among the contentious questions discussed, at least it was when I frequented German forums more often over ten years ago. Using filters and aromatics is what most pipe smokers including myself started out with. Some then considered themselves advanced after getting rid of the filters and aromatics, including myself. But in fact, later I went back full circle and started using filters occasionally again, and still do. They help me with home brews that I like the flavour of but still bite me. I might keep tweaking those mixes, but the filter helps me to get an enjoyable smoke in the meantime.

When I don't use a 9mm filter, I use Denicotea silica gel filter crystals in the bottom of the bowl, and in the well of the Peterson system pipes. They go in white and come out black, and the change of flavour is minimal. But what they achieve is that the cleaning process is a lot less messy with any pipe, and particularly with system pipes.

Best wishes
    Markus
    Last edited by Markus1970; 04-10-2018 at 20:15.

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I enjoyed reading that post, Markus

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowroll View Post
    I enjoyed reading that post, Markus
    Me too! The perfect explanation.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Edit, wrong thread
    Last edited by Slowroll; 04-11-2018 at 19:19.

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since
    1970-75 then again 2016

What filter will correct threads?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Sorry, wrong forum.....
    Last edited by Scottishgaucho; 04-14-2018 at 00:35.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123