Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restored Clifton DeLuxe

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Restored Clifton DeLuxe

Does it count if someone else did the restoration? Anyways, just some minor things needed to be done. Crack in shank was glued and banded, stem cleaneded up, over reaming in chamber needed to be evened out, and the wood was given quick polish.

38981440170_ef2871496d_z.jpg

40562008215_3ef96b356d_z.jpg

I'm not thrilled that I lost some the "o" and all of the "n" from the Clifton engraving, and sacrificed some wood on the shank due to the band (I think the overall flow, proportions, aesthetic, etc. took a bit of a hit) but it was necessary to make it functional. A few other minor gripes are the text on the band, the band material (my best guess would be nickel) and that the band wasn't made flush with the surface of the shank, it was just pushed and glued on top of the surface. But like I said, minor things. It cost me only $35 CAD and I had it back a few days later. I also left the CLIFTON on the stem unrestored. It's a smoker afterall, and one that will be rigorously put through its paces as it will be used exclusively for Condor, which would be my everyday smoke were it not so expensive. One more thing: am I nuts for thinking the pre-restorarion yellow/amber stem colour looked better than black? Cleaned up, of course. I don't mind playful stem colours on pipes in general, though.

41455409451_a3012bd401_z.jpg

26585204867_4814407b12_z.jpg
    Last edited by KarlMaldensNose; 04-14-2018 at 19:21.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Beautiful pipe and yes your Mad, the restored black stem is far superior! Love the grain as well.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Beautiful pipe and yes your Mad, the restored black stem is far superior! Love the grain as well.
    Pfffft... this coming from a man who owns a pipe with a camouflage stem.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

With a crack in the shank, you did the sensible thing. Best leave those jobs to the professionals. Big improvement all round I'd say,
    Looks better with that band. BTW, the old stem was black, age & oxidation does that to a stem. A 'dashing' pipe!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

It looks just fine, Jason. There are some trade-offs as you mentioned, like the repair band covering part of the "Clifton", but the cleaned stem and the polished bowl were done very nicely. I'm sure it's a good smoker, too!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A nifty little pipe and restoration job looks great. The band just adds more character. If you had a cream/beige/ or yellow stem made for it, it would/could look better but not having left it fully oxidized for decades.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice looking pipe, Jason. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMaldensNose View Post
    I'm not thrilled that I lost some the "o" and all of the "n" from the Clifton engraving, and sacrificed some wood on the shank due to the band (I think the overall flow, proportions, aesthetic, etc. took a bit of a hit) but it was necessary to make it functional. A few other minor gripes are the text on the band, the band material (my best guess would be nickel) and that the band wasn't made flush with the surface of the shank, it was just pushed and glued on top of the surface. But like I said, minor things. It cost me only $35 CAD and I had it back a few days later.
    For $35 CAD, you can't expect finicky, precision work and high grade materials. I think you got a great deal for the work that was done. I doubt they guy doing the restoration made better wages on the job than the kid working in the fast food joint up the street.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    BTW, the old stem was black, age & oxidation does that to a stem. A 'dashing' pipe!
    Yeah, I didn't explain my point well. I was aware the stem was always black.

Quote Originally Posted by p120d16y View Post
    A nifty little pipe and restoration job looks great. The band just adds more character. If you had a cream/beige/ or yellow stem made for it, it would/could look better but not having left it fully oxidized for decades.
    That's what I meant, if the stem had a lighter colour, not actually leaving the oxidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Nice looking pipe, Jason. Congrats!

For $35 CAD, you can't expect finicky, precision work and high grade materials. I think you got a great deal for the work that was done. I doubt they guy doing the restoration made better wages on the job than the kid working in the fast food joint up the street.
    Yep, I agree. That's why I mentioned the price in my post. Didn't want you guys to think I was bitching about workmanship and value. I was shocked when he sent me the bill. I considered giving him more than the stated price but that's not how things work.

Thanks for the kind words, boys. Now I just need to wait for all this ice and sleet to melt and for things to warm up a bit so I can enjoy a smoke in it. I think we were into high teens at this time last year. Crazy stuff.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMaldensNose View Post
    I considered giving him more than the stated price but that's not how things work.
    Gratuities for services rendered work very well in fact. I have received them many times and they are always very much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask who did the work, just in case someone else might be interested in seeking him out? Pipe repair/resto guys don't have large advertising budgets. Word of mouth from real clients is vital.
    Follow me and watch calamity ensue: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Gratuities for services rendered work very well in fact. I have received them many times and they are always very much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask who did the work, just in case someone else might be interested in seeking him out? Pipe repair/resto guys don't have large advertising budgets. Word of mouth from real clients is vital.
    I donít doubt you or anyone else do not mind gratuities. Not many people would turn down money. Itís just confusing where it starts and ends these days. Thereís a tips cup on every front counter in every business, regardless of whether or not one is actually being ďwaited onĒ. But letís not go there, it can be a sensitive issue.

The very fine work here was done by Dadís Pipes in Kitchener, Ontario. Itís a great option for Canadian pipe men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast