Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restored Clifton DeLuxe

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Gratuities for services rendered work very well in fact. I have received them many times and they are always very much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask who did the work, just in case someone else might be interested in seeking him out? Pipe repair/resto guys don't have large advertising budgets. Word of mouth from real clients is vital.
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlMaldensNose View Post
    I donít doubt you or anyone else do not mind gratuities. Not many people would turn down money. Itís just confusing where it starts and ends these days. Thereís a tips cup on every front counter in every business, regardless of whether or not one is actually being ďwaited onĒ. But letís not go there, it can be a sensitive issue.

The very fine work here was done by Dadís Pipes in Kitchener, Ontario. Itís a great option for Canadian pipe men.
    Hey man, I didn't mean for that to come off as snarky. I had a smile on my face when I was typing it.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The very fine work here was done by Dadís Pipes in Kitchener, Ontario. Itís a great option for Canadian pipe men.
    I thought that might be Charles' work.

I donít doubt you or anyone else do not mind gratuities. Not many people would turn down money.
    It's a mistake to think that's it's all about the money. It's an expression of appreciation and a way for you to show that you see more value in the work that was done than you were asked for in compensation. Something as simple as a tin of tobacco can work just as well.

Hey man, I didn't mean for that to come off as snarky. I had a smile on my face when I was typing it.
    No worries. You're right that the subject of compensation for this type of work is something that I am particularly sensitive to. For the reasons why, see the following link because I can't say it better than George does.

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...Pipe-Repairmen
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What a terrible shame to dedicate that lovely pipe to .....Condor. And it had to be restored to do so!!
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It's a beauty.

Real Name
    Thomas

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A pipe with character and grace.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I thought that might be Charles' work.

It's a mistake to think that's it's all about the money. It's an expression of appreciation and a way for you to show that you see more value in the work that was done than you were asked for in compensation. Something as simple as a tin of tobacco can work just as well.

No worries. You're right that the subject of compensation for this type of work is something that I am particularly sensitive to. For the reasons why, see the following link because I can't say it better than George does.

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...Pipe-Repairmen
    Great post and thread you linked to, and something I really am taking to heart. I checked out some of your blog posts at reborn pipes and it's obvious you (and all the other pipe restorers out there) take great pride in this work. I honestly had no idea it was so detail oriented and time consuming. Easy to overlook something when it's outside our own little bubble of existence. Sincere apologies if I seemed flippant about any of this. As I remarked earlier in this thread, I thought $35 was a little light for the work he did, so I'm sending Charles a pouch of Mick McQuaid Plug as a token of my appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    What a terrible shame to dedicate that lovely pipe to .....Condor. And it had to be restored to do so!!
    Bill, before I joined this forum I couldn't even smoke Marlin Flake because I found the unsweetened black cavendish in it to be too artificial tasting. Boswell's Northwoods? Nope. Clearly has a touch of flavour and/or sweetener going on, so it wasn't for me. It was you guys who turned me onto granny panties blends! The Condor and Lakelands and tutti frutti stuff is all on you, in a collective community sense, that is. However, from one polite Canadian to another, I'll do my best to be downwind of you whenever I settle in with a bowl of Condor.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Jason I can't even keep an open tin of any Lakeland scented tobacco within sniffing distance of my wife. Although I really wasn't fond of a lot of them and they also became way too difficult to get locally. I do have some Condor tucked away. I have so much in the cupboard I better smoke before I go adding more. I hope you continue to enjoy them.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I checked out some of your blog posts at reborn pipes...
    Oh, GAWD!!!

Don't read that stuff! All of those posts are from, like, three or four years ago when I was first starting out. I was basically working from the kitchen table with tools and materials from the hobby shop. Practically nothing is done the same way anymore. It's really a little embarrassing. Like having your bare-butt, baby pics on the internet for all time.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sincere apologies if I seemed flippant about any of this. As I remarked earlier in this thread, I thought $35 was a little light for the work he did, so I'm sending Charles a pouch of Mick McQuaid Plug as a token of my appreciation.
    Good on ya! I'm sure that it will be appreciated.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12