Thread: Father Dempsey

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Father Dempsey

This is a real sleeper of an "English-type" tobacco that's rarely mentioned on pipe smoking forums and I bought it based on good reviews. While returning to my Latakia roots, I'm smoking some old favorites and also giving some new blends a try as well. My taste in this genre leans towards blends like MM965 and PS Proper English, but have smoked and liked others that I need to revisit in order to redefine my taste. That brings us to Father Dempsey. It's made by Kramer's Pipe and Tobacco Shop that was quite a fixture in Beverly Hills, California. Although the B&M has been closed, the various blends are still being produced. Here's a link to their website and the reviews from TR:

https://www.kramerstobaccoshop.com

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...father-dempsey

My 100g bag from SP arrived moist, but ready to smoke. The cut is a chopped ribbon of dark brown tobacco and with a tin note of noticeable Latakia; the blend is made up of Latakia, Oriental/Turkish and Virginia. Upon first light, I found the flavor and aroma to be more on the Oriental side with the Latakia being the foundation. The VA helps to add smoothness to the blend as it burns down the bowl. Father Dempsey is a cool smoke with no harsh spots if smoked slowly and that is the key to understanding it. If rushed, I'm sure that it will bite, but when sipped the up-front flavor of the Orientals fades enough to allow the different tobaccos to be tasted and enjoyed. This isn't a lat bomb, nor are the VAs aged enough to add a deeper dimension, and has somewhat common dry flavor of Latakia. I found that it burns with no wetness, although a bit quickly, and a larger bowled pipe is recommended. This is one that I like and is a nice journey in English tobacco via the Orientals. I rate it three out of four stars on my Lat-blend scale, one star lower because of the more dominant role of the Orientals/Turkish. A very different but tasty, good smoke all the same!
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 04-16-2018 at 19:23.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sounds a good one Russ, thanks for the review! Very professional.
    How come we never hear of peases 'Westminster'? I had a tin of that a few years ago, I thought it was great & knocks 'white knight' for six!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Sounds a good one Russ, thanks for the review! Very professional.
    How come we never hear of peases 'Westminster'? I had a tin of that a few years ago, I thought it was great & knocks 'white knight' for six!
    Thank you, Simon. I'm almost sure that I've smoked Westminster once before. I may have to place it on "The List".
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 04-16-2018 at 21:28.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Russ, I found the Fr Dempsey blend several years ago whilst lookin fer something new to try. I called Kramerís and spoke to the Marsha about the Blend. At that time you had to call in an order as their website was not set up for ordering. She tried to talk me out o gettin the blend, saying it was very strong fer those not used to the large amount o Latakia in it. But, I did place the order and eagerly awaited itís arrival. Then came the day! Woohoo! I Love It!! Aye, but, the wench do nae, so I gets banished to the bilges to njoy me new baccy. When I ran out o the blend I called to place an other order and heard they were closing down operations I had to to thank them. I will be buying the SP version soon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." ó Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My daughter got me a tin of this for my birthday. It has a distinctive Oriaental signature I like.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Tom View Post
    My daughter got me a tin of this for my birthday. It has a distinctive Oriaental signature I like.
    I like it too, Father Tom, and at first I found it very different and surprising. The Orientals, being up-front as they are, is something new to me and is on the edge of my "Oriental/Turkish" spectrum. I do, however, prefer a Lat-blend that's more towards the middle of the road. I don't regret buying it at all and have found it to be a good smoke for relaxing and reading.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 04-18-2018 at 16:33.
    Russ

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great review, Russ. FD sure sounds like a good one, especially for those of us who are into the Oriental complexity that makes some English style blends so compelling.

I smoked a few tins of Westminster in my Latakia phase and found it to be a sunny pleasant version of a style that can get pretty dark and brooding if it's not careful. A blend that should get more mention if you ask me.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Thank you, Billy.
    Russ