Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glad to be here.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you !

Real Name
    Nigel
    Pipe smoker since
    approx 20 years

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome to PSU Ludwig.
    Regards,

Nigel

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome, Ludwig! Big fan of Italian pipes here!
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome to PSU from the land of Sand and Cacti, Phoenix Arizona. When I was stationed at Torrejon AB, Spain back in '88, I had the chance to go to Aviano AB for a TDY (Temporary DutY) exercise. We stayed off base in the town of Pordenone. I don't remember the name of the hotel where they put us up at, but it had a small little coffee bar where this older gentleman (my guess a WWII vet) worked as the barista. Every morning we would go down and get a cappuccino or some such, and every morning he would reach under the bar and pull out a bottle of something and pour a small shot of it into our cups. We tried to tell him that as we worked with explosives and such, it probably wasn't a good idea. But of course our English to Italian Universal Translator was broken. So he would chuckle and from what we could infer (as none of us spoke Italian) is that this was fine and all was good with the world.

Still miss that hotel...Great place to stay, great people, and the country was beautiful...The mountains that backed up behind the base were unbelievable and about half way up the mountain was an old monastery. Never got to go visit it, but some took a trip up there and said it was out of this world.

Sorry for rambling...So many memories of so many places that I was able to see in my military career. Some of them I can close my eyes and it seems like only yesterday.
    Last edited by McGyver; 04-30-2018 at 20:51.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    Hello from Italy, 10 yrs smoking pipe and I still like it ever more
    A rather belated welcome, Iíve been away on a short vacation and attending a relativeís wedding.
    Great to have you join this forum and good to read all your posts.
    Marc

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    Welcome to PSU from the land of Sand and Cacti, Phoenix Arizona. When I was stationed at Torrejon AB, Spain back in '88, I had the chance to go to Aviano AB for a TDY (Temporary DutY) exercise. We stayed off base in the town of Pordenone. I don't remember the name of the hotel where they put us up at, but it had a small little coffee bar where this older gentleman (my guess a WWII vet) worked as the barista. Every morning we would go down and get a cappuccino or some such, and every morning he would reach under the bar and pull out a bottle of something and pour a small shot of it into our cups. We tried to tell him that as we worked with explosives and such, it probably wasn't a good idea. But of course our English to Italian Universal Translator was broken. So he would chuckle and from what we could infer (as none of us spoke Italian) is that this was fine and all was good with the world.

Still miss that hotel...Great place to stay, great people, and the country was beautiful...The mountains that backed up behind the base were unbelievable and about half way up the mountain was an old monastery. Never got to go visit it, but some took a trip up there and said it was out of this world.

Sorry for rambling...So many memories of so many places that I was able to see in my military career. Some of them I can close my eyes and it seems like only yesterday.
    Keeep rambling Sonny it's great to hear about all the travels.

Better late than never,.. I don't know why but I haven't see Nigel,Herb, Sonny, Marcbrier and Joe posts of welcome in my thread of presentation, .. Im deeply sorry I haven't said thank you for your welcome,.. I really don't know how this happened, .. Im usually thankfull and polite,.... pls forgive don't take as impoliteness, but I missed it really missed it,..... Im sorry again and Thank you all !!!

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post

..... in Pordenone area they are quite alcoolic people,.. probably the barman were adding some grappa in your cappuccino or coffe espresso,.. just to give you a little kick ..!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234