Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My Great Grandfathers pipe.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Mmmm I'm no expert but the dating looks dodgy to me. If it was in French I might be fooled.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Interesting looking pipe, Bill. I wouldn't like to guess the age. Funny that the carving of the scroll looks alright, but rather an amateurish attempt of 'old boney'. Trying to remember what siege he was involved in, in 1809. Perhaps a soldier of the peninsula wars own handy work?
    Very nice Simon, good bit of info I bet it is Napoleon because he can't see over the wall.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Very nice Simon, good bit of info I bet it is Napoleon because he can't see over the wall.
    Found out some more info, Bill. 1809 was the war of the 'fifth coalition', when the French & Bavarians laid siege at Vienna. Against the combined forces of the British & Austro-Hungarians. Due to the somewhat comical portrayal of Napoleon, I reckon it's an Austrian meer. The pipe I think, does resemble the Vienna Coffee House Clays. Which I think, both Jesper & Tom have showed us.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Yes Simon I agree. When I was keen on dating and identifying my grand dads pipe I found out that block meerschaum was being sent to Austria for carving and then sent to England for stemming and silver banding. The earliest reference I could find was 1861 where these pipes were all generally carved with similar motifs. Horses, trees, and warrior figures were quite common. I'm not sure why they were sent to Austria as I'm sure the Turks were already doing a fine job. I have diligently followed any I could find on e-bay so that I could ask their provenance with no real results. The auctions on these pipes are curious as well. Many will describe them as briars not knowing they are meers because of the light weight and colour. The auctions have gone from $50 lows to over $300 depending on the condition of the pipe. I received my pipe in 1962 after he died at the age of 96. So in my mind the pipe dates from somewhere between 1890 to 1920 suggesting my grandad smoked from the age of early 20's to 40(?). Just a big guess but my dad told me he had always seen his father with the pipe and he was born in 1909.

I also did a look around and found that 1809 "5th coalition" was Napoleon's first major tactical defeat. And since England teemed up with Austria it makes sense that they would have been eager to celebrate what they thought at the time was a final victory. But in the end I suppose this is all supposition.
    Last edited by Brooklin Bill; 05-19-2018 at 16:00.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    The earliest reference I could find was 1861 where these pipes were all generally carved with similar motifs. Horses, trees, and warrior figures were quite common. I'm not sure why they were sent to Austria as I'm sure the Turks were already doing a fine job.
    I suspect they wouldn't of sold many Turkish pipes, in Austria back then. Memories of the 'Ottaman Empire' still fresh. They reached into Austria, as far as the gates of Vienna! Maybe even today, they still hold a grudge. I think they still make an 'artificial' meershaum compound, to produce their own pipes. As you say bill, it's mostly supposition looking at these old meers. Good fun, seeing what's out there though. I saw a lovely looking meer on the bay, a couple of weeks ago. Only to see it stamped. Made of the finest asbestos! Lol. Luckily it was stamped. I suspect many have been sold, that aren't.

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great Tale Simon love that pipe great work there. came on the forum feeling a little down but after reading this thread on top of the world againI'm glad I got Ron to make the Calabashes for me great pipes Iv been thinking of your note Anthony and I will ask the kids and great grandson what do they wnt from the pipes I have it will be fantastic having Daniel tell stories. about his great grand dad.Thank you guys for the great uplifting.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    Iv been thinking of your note Anthony and I will ask the kids and great grandson what do they wnt from the pipes I have it will be fantastic having Daniel tell stories. about his great grand dad.
    That's great to hear, Joe! Just make sure to tell them the stories behind the pipes so that they know what they mean to you. A year or two ago, I saw a collection of Tinderbox Christmas pipes being sold off individually on eBay and it just broke my heart. There was a pipe from every Christmas for about 20 years. So, you know that they once meant something to someone if they were diligently collecting them for that long. I wanted to buy them all just to keep them together, but didn't have the funds to do so. Don't let that Darwin set be split up!
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by craigmillar View Post
    Great Tale Simon love that pipe great work there. came on the forum feeling a little down but after reading this thread on top of the world againI'm glad I got Ron to make the Calabashes for me great pipes Iv been thinking of your note Anthony and I will ask the kids and great grandson what do they wnt from the pipes I have it will be fantastic having Daniel tell stories. about his great grand dad.Thank you guys for the great uplifting.
    Great to hear it perked you up a bit joe!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm smoking one of the of the rusticated some Stokkrbye cube cut.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345