Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Great Grandfathers pipe.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Briar№8 View Post
    Beautiful one, Simon!

Let us know how is it smoking, later. Hope , we dont want to wait 3 hrs!
    Good one arvind! Lol. I will & I don't blame you.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What a real piece of pipe and personal history, Simon! The color and the silver are just wonderful.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post
    Good heavens, Simon. I have a complete soft spot for Calabashes; that one is a beauty and you've done a splendid restoring job on it.
    And to think that it belonged to your Great-grandfather. A great tradition handing it down to the eldest son in the next generation.
    My biggest pipe wish is to own a Calabash with a silver cup, which I believe is the original.
    I bid on a couple on ebay, but I still don't own one.

Thanks Jesper! I didn't know that about the silver caps. I always thought the first ones were the removable bowls. I remember seeing some new old stock comoys gourds. Bonds of Oxford St. (Only online now) had them, I think. Beautiful, but Big money.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Most important .. you said all !

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Beautifully restored! It still has the rugged look of a pipe that has "been there and done that"...I have seen many pics from the Great War of Comrades in Arms sharing a pipe while contemplating the next charge over the top...Of fighter pilots, standing in a grassy field wearing their long leather trench coats, speaking with their mates shortly before taking off on a dawn patrol. These are the pipes of men of action, who know that what is over the next ridge could be the end of their lives...and they go anyway.

This pipe has so much history stored within it...Enjoy it in memory of your ancestors before you.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great story Simon...no wonder you want to get it back in action.

Both my grandfathers died when I was very young. They may well have but I don't recall seeing either of them smoking a pipe or cigarettes for that matter.

Real Name
    Thomas

A true treasure Simon. Smoke it with reverence for your ancestors.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Mark
    Pipe smoker since
    1970 with an interruption of 40 years while I was smoking only cigarettes

What a nice story.

I had a calabash made in Turkey (no silver; removable meer) back in the early 70's. I remember smoking it, enjoying the taste. But it did take forever. And although I clenched pipes at the time, this was too big and unwieldy to clench. I had to sit and smoke for a really long time so I only smoked it rarely, and for special occasions. Enjoy your history!

Mark

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Great story Simon...no wonder you want to get it back in action.
    Cheers Crawford! It's been in a box for years, but after learning about different restorations on this forum, gave me the confidence to do it up myself. So a big thanks to Anthony & others who have shared their work, tips & advice on here. Otherwise it would of likely still been in its box. In the museum at Cheltenham, it explains why all the old tobacconists had the scots highlander outside.
    Back in the day, the very finest snuff came from Scotland. So the Scotsman became synonymous with the purveyors of fine snuffs & tobacco. The museum also explains that when you boys had a 'crack down south' to reclaim the crown, the 'highland dress' became illegal attire! All the tobacconists swiftly withdrawing their Scotsmen off all the high streets, fearing reprisals. Only to be told to put them back out again, as people struggled to find a tobacconist on a busy & bustling street! Lol. (People forget most of the population were illiterate then).

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what it all about. It's not just cleaning and polishing a bit of wood and rubber. It's about restoring a connection to those that came before us.

I'm very happy for you Simon. That is a very special pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    At some point in the future, I'll get a new stem made. The original stem was replaced by my late grandad anyway & this one is chipped.
    A nice 'faux' brown Amber one would suit, I think.
    I have some tortoise-like acrylic rod with triple the "graining" of standard tortoise. It was a limited material run that's no longer produced. I have only enough left for one stem. Just sayin'.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast