Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: My Great Grandfathers pipe.

  1. #21
    PSU Member Dunstan Hillwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since
    1962
    Posts
    1,473


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Thanks Jesper! I didn't know that about the silver caps. I always thought the first ones were the removable bowls. I remember seeing some new old stock comoys gourds. Bonds of Oxford St. (Only online now) had them, I think. Beautiful, but Big money.
    You're welcome, Simon. I read somewhere that the Calabash pipes came to England with the soldiers returning from the South African war, as was the case with the Oom Paul pipes; all the Calabashes I've seen from that period, had silver caps.
    Gary Schrier wrote a book about the history of the Calabash pipe, a book I'd dearly like to own, but the Danish Customs tend to disagree. It'll end up costing me a fortune.

    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

  2. #22
    PSU Member Simon G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hereford. England
    Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since
    1988
    Posts
    2,565


    9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post


    I have some tortoise-like acrylic rod with triple the "graining" of standard tortoise. It was a limited material run that's no longer produced. I have only enough left for one stem. Just sayin'.
    Why Anthony, are you trying to seduce me?

    image.gif

    I'd be totally stoked if you, of all people touched the old boys pipe!
    Reserve that material for me sir!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

  3. #23
    PSU Member Simon G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hereford. England
    Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since
    1988
    Posts
    2,565


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post
    Gary Schrier wrote a book about the history of the Calabash pipe, a book I'd dearly like to own, but the Danish Customs tend to disagree. It'll end up costing me a fortune.

    Hmmm, have you still not checked out williams books? I was looking at his site last night, & they're all still there. Go to page 2 of his 'Accessories'.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

  4. #24
    PSU Member Dunstan Hillwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since
    1962
    Posts
    1,473


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Hmmm, have you still not checked out williams books? I was looking at his site last night, & they're all still there. Go to page 2 of his 'Accessories'.
    As a matter of fact, I did some days ago, thanks to your tip. I'll go and have another look.
    That William has very seductive pipes and prices and I like a person who has made his workshop in an old train waggon, which he put in his garden.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

  5. #25
    PSU Member Simon G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hereford. England
    Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since
    1988
    Posts
    2,565


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post
    As a matter of fact, I did some days ago, thanks to your tip. I'll go and have another look.
    That William has very seductive pipes and prices and I like a person who has made his workshop in an old train waggon, which he put in his garden.
    I want a workshop like his! You're right, his pipes are great & he's a lovely bloke to deal with. The only trouble is, he's got too many pipes! Takes hours & hours to look through his site. Lol.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

  6. #26
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    4,720


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Thanks Jesper! I didn't know that about the silver caps. I always thought the first ones were the removable bowls. I remember seeing some new old stock comoys gourds. Bonds of Oxford St. (Only online now) had them, I think. Beautiful, but Big money.
    A couple of articles on the subject that are worth a read:

    https://pipedia.org/wiki/Calabash,_C...ou_Calabash%3F

    https://www.smokingpipes.com/smoking...e-origin-story
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  7. #27
    PSU Member Dunstan Hillwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since
    1962
    Posts
    1,473


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I want a workshop like his! You're right, his pipes are great & he's a lovely bloke to deal with. The only trouble is, he's got too many pipes! Takes hours & hours to look through his site. Lol.
    I've only ever bought one pipe from him, a Sixten Ivarsson Stanwell no. 39, which I consider the star in my Stanwell collection and yes, he is great to do business with. He had a Stanwell 'Black Magic' once; a pipe I've never seen in the flesh and I was way too slow to make up my mind and I regret it to this day, that I let it get away. The worst part was that it wasn't overly expensive.

    There was an article about him in a local newspaper a couple of years ago with pictures of him working away in his train. I saved the article and if I can find it again, I'll post it.

    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

  8. #28
    PSU Member Dunstan Hillwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since
    1962
    Posts
    1,473


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Very interesting Calabash articles. Thanks for posting the links, Anthony.
    I'll just have to have the Schrier book and Danish Customs be damned.
    Though 'briar calabash' is a contradiction in terms, Brebbia makes a beautiful version,
    that I'd like to have gracing my pipe rack one day.


    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

  9. #29
    PSU Member Simon G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hereford. England
    Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since
    1988
    Posts
    2,565


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post

    There was an article about him in a local newspaper a couple of years ago with pictures of him working away in his train. I saved the article and if I can find it again, I'll post it.

    If you manage to find it Jesper, please do. I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing it. After all, many here have an affection for trains & in particular, sheds!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

  10. #30
    PSU Member Dunstan Hillwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since
    1962
    Posts
    1,473


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    If you manage to find it Jesper, please do. I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing it. After all, many here have an affection for trains & in particular, sheds!
    ...and pipes..! The pipes. Don't forget the pipes. I'll go looking for the article as soon as I've done posting.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •