Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A hundred year meer with an hundred year baccy in it ?

Real Name
    Arvind
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A hundred year meer with an hundred year baccy in it ?

Good afternoon to all!

Its already midnight here in India.

This came in the post today. The bowl is having tobacco in it. It seems the owner has packed the pipe with baccy & left the pipe in its case.

What is bothering me is the stem of the pipe - it was already broken at few places & glued. Now, on taking the pipe out of the case, the stem again crumbles in my hand . And I am unable to unscrew or pull out the tenon park with the silver mount which connects with shank.

Any insights will be helpful for me. Is there anything which can be done to save this pipe ?

Thanks for your suggestions & comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Briar№8; 05-22-2018 at 19:18.
    Best regards,
    Arvind.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Save the amber and get a re-stem done by a pro.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

.. I think Bill gave the best suggestion .

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Bad luck there arvind, easily done with Amber. I had a meer cigar holder with an amber stem. Went to unscrew it, & it just crumbled. You'll be better off with a new stem. I imagine an established tobacconists in India, could get it replaced for you.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a beautiful pipe. So, it's a real shame to see that, Arvind. Bill has it right though. A new stem is the only solution at this point.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Arvind
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Save the amber and get a re-stem done by a pro.
    Okay, Bill. That was what I was thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    .. I think Bill gave the best suggestion .
    ludwig, thanks. Will try to..

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Bad luck there arvind, easily done with Amber. I had a meer cigar holder with an amber stem. Went to unscrew it, & it just crumbled. You'll be better off with a new stem. I imagine an established tobacconists in India, could get it replaced for you.
    Simon, the thing is, I wont be surprised if I do not find a tobacconist & more over an established one here in India. I will search for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    That's a beautiful pipe. So, it's a real shame to see that, Arvind. Bill has it right though. A new stem is the only solution at this point.
    Anthony, Yes. I would like to have a new stem too, which will be more user friendly , in terms of maintenance & usage.

I want to ask one thing about the original stem - basically, are stems like these screwed, glued or press-fitted, when these pipes come out of the factory ?

Thanks for everyone's suggestion & I do respect all of them.
    Best regards,
    Arvind.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Briar№8 View Post
    I want to ask one thing about the original stem - basically, are stems like these screwed, glued or press-fitted, when these pipes come out of the factory ?
    A meerschaum pipe of that age will have a bone screw. A bone screw is a connector that is threaded on both ends and it screws into both the stem and shank. Sometimes, it's glued into one or the other and, occasionally, it's glued into both.

That said, I'm skeptical of the originality of the silver work on that pipe. It looks like a previous repair to me. So, just about anything could be going on underneath it.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Arvind
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    A meerschaum pipe of that age will have a bone screw. A bone screw is a connector that is threaded on both ends and it screws into both the stem and shank. Sometimes, it's glued into one or the other and, occasionally, it's glued into both.

That said, I'm skeptical of the originality of the silver work on that pipe. It looks like a previous repair to me. So, just about anything could be going on underneath it.
    Dear Anthony, thanks again. I started to dig bit deeper now.

The silver mount has hallmarks on it. An anchor, a lion passant & alphabet "g" in a lower case.

Taking into account of all these three markings (can these markings alone be taken into account to de-code?), " The anchor was adopted as the assay office mark by Birmingham "

Link - https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/...irmingham.html -- this link has a tabular column stating that the markings in this order -

belongs to 1906 year. I hope that I am tying to de-code these markings the right way.

Still searching for more info, as the silversmiths initials "A.W " in a inverted semi-circle, I am not able to find information regarding this. There are "A.W" in a sheild or in an oval or in an rectangle but, not in a inverted semi-circle.

Going only by the hallmarks, brings me to 1906 yr, that said, where there made new additions to the pipe or replacements with silver mounts.

I apologize, I should have posted these hallmarks long before itself.

Still searching ...
    Last edited by Briar№8; 05-23-2018 at 20:04.
    Best regards,
    Arvind.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

To be honest I thought it had already been repaired with that silver band. I have never seen one that thick and I don't think it was by design as the carver would want the meerschaum and the amber to be the dressing.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    To be honest I thought it had already been repaired with that silver band. I have never seen one that thick and I don't think it was by design as the carver would want the meerschaum and the amber to be the dressing.
    It's the hallmarks on the silver that make me question it at all, Bill. I've seen hallmarked silver repair work before, but it's rather rare. If the band were of a more common size, I wouldn't think anything about it. The repairman could have a box of them in the shop, but a piece that long looks like custom work to me. To have it assayed would suggest that it was a rather high-end repair at the time.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast