Thread: Well that's a disappointment!

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Well that's a disappointment!

Next weekend, the wife and I are going to the Prescott National Forest outside of Prescott Arizona for our group's annual camp-out. As the temps here in Phoenix are beginning the unavoidable climb to the daily 100 degrees plus and higher I was looking forward to the cool 80's during the day and low 50's at night. In the preparations I have been thinking about which pipes to take with me as well as which tobaccos I want to have. Nothing is better than sitting outside in the great outdoors with a refreshing beverage on one side, and your pipe on the other!

Unfortunately, that all came crashing down yesterday. I thought I would go check the website for the Prescott forest for any notifications, and there was the note that a Stage II fire ban was in effect for the forest. I looked at the ban, and among other things like no open fires or grills (except for propane) and no generators between 9AM and 8PM (which makes me wonder when someone is going to be able to use said generator if needed), there was a ban on smoking except inside a permanent structure or enclosed vehicle.

There is an outhouse (which has a no smoking sign on it) that is the only permanent structure in the camping area. But if you have had the (dis)pleasure of having to use an outhouse that hasn't been properly cleaned out (like the last 3 years we have camped there), wanting to Hang Out for an hour or so enjoying a nice, peaceful smoke is the last thing you want to do. I'm also not going to smoke in our new truck either, as the wife would kill me and bury my corpse in the woods without a second thought.

So I put away my "Go Bag" of pipes and piping accessories. I can understand their reasoning, this has been a very dry winter and spring in Arizona. Not sure when the last time was that we really had a good rain here in Phoenix, and while it has rained more up north, it is still not enough to fight the dry conditions.

So I will leave my pipes at home and go relax in the great outdoors....and wish I had my pipe.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    Next weekend, the wife and I are going to the Prescott National Forest outside of Prescott Arizona for our group's annual camp-out. As the temps here in Phoenix are beginning the unavoidable climb to the daily 100 degrees plus and higher I was looking forward to the cool 80's during the day and low 50's at night. In the preparations I have been thinking about which pipes to take with me as well as which tobaccos I want to have. Nothing is better than sitting outside in the great outdoors with a refreshing beverage on one side, and your pipe on the other!

Unfortunately, that all came crashing down yesterday. I thought I would go check the website for the Prescott forest for any notifications, and there was the note that a Stage II fire ban was in effect for the forest. I looked at the ban, and among other things like no open fires or grills (except for propane) and no generators between 9AM and 8PM (which makes me wonder when someone is going to be able to use said generator if needed), there was a ban on smoking except inside a permanent structure or enclosed vehicle.

There is an outhouse (which has a no smoking sign on it) that is the only permanent structure in the camping area. But if you have had the (dis)pleasure of having to use an outhouse that hasn't been properly cleaned out (like the last 3 years we have camped there), wanting to Hang Out for an hour or so enjoying a nice, peaceful smoke is the last thing you want to do. I'm also not going to smoke in our new truck either, as the wife would kill me and bury my corpse in the woods without a second thought.

So I put away my "Go Bag" of pipes and piping accessories. I can understand their reasoning, this has been a very dry winter and spring in Arizona. Not sure when the last time was that we really had a good rain here in Phoenix, and while it has rained more up north, it is still not enough to fight the dry conditions.

So I will leave my pipes at home and go relax in the great outdoors....and wish I had my pipe.
    Aye Sonny, sorry to hear o Ye plight fer a nice time in the wood mate... Get Ye a ration o the Capt's rum to console ye self...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Having a puff with a lot of care,.. hiding a bit is not possibile ..?

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    Having a puff with a lot of care,.. hiding a bit is not possibile ..?
    Honestly, I had considered it...but as it is a $500.00 fine if you are caught if the Forest Officials want to be anally retentive about it, I figured that it is better to wait, than to get fined and go sit in the graybar hotel for the weekend.

But the pirate in me wants to say to 'ell with it! It will depend on if there is a Camp Host or not (sorta like a babysitter for the campground area). Two years ago we had one and he was constantly walking around watching for people smoking. He told people that if he caught one person breaking the rules, he was going to call the ranger and have us fined and thrown out. This is also the same guy who when we were setting up that Thursday came by and said that he didn't mind if we had brothers who were smoking "Medicinally"...Guess he got butt-hurt because no one would share.

We shall see...it is a big forest.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!