Thread: The Spring Corn Report

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The Spring Corn Report

It's been good so far, plenty of rain and not too hot.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Those flat fields and the center-pivot irrigators remind me of my back yard when I lived in Indiana.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Interesting little video, loved the background music! Thanks for showing us.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great video. Thanks for posting it.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I like the comment about the cobs from last year being so hard that sparks were flying from the lathes while they were being cut.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchfork View Post
    Those flat fields and the center-pivot irrigators remind me of my back yard when I lived in Indiana.
    Growing up, my father worked on various farms and ranches in the Texas Panhandle. We were on a couple that used the center-pivot irrigation systems. They are a chore to move...Had to help dad on a couple, then by myself when I was older.

First, you have to run the system until it is "just" lined up with the center pivot on the next field. "Just" because you have to pull it from the outside swing end, past the center pivot on the new field, and then past the center pivot for a bit. Then you can hook on the the Pivot end and drag it to the center pivot to hook up the water and electrical connections...But before you can move it, you have to turn ALL the wheels.

This involves jacking up each wheel, pulling the safety pins, rotating the wheel from circle to drag position, then replace the safety pins. Repeat for as many wheel sets you have. I hated the one that had 18 wheels on it...It took over two hours to just turn wheels.

After the wheels are turned, or before, just don't forget to do it, you have to disconnect the water connection and the electrical cables...Failure to do so will result in bending the connection and or ripping out the cables...and no, I Didn't learn that by accident...the other guy that worked (past tense) on the ranch before we got there did...

So then you can hook a tractor to the swing end tow connection and SLOWLY start moving it to the next field. Slowly because as they spin in circles, they also slowly wear trenches in the ground where the wheels go. Pulling too fast will drop the wheels off in these trenches (unavoidable) too quickly and can bend or tweek the legs when they try to come out.

Once you reach the other field, make sure you are wide enough of the center pivot point so that all the segments will pass the center without hitting it as you start to swing the whole train in line with it. That is why you pull it a hundred yards or so past the center, so you can sort of parallel park it back in to place.

After you get everthing lined back up and connected, then the Wheel turning process begins again. Turning the wheels from drag to circle.

When all is connected and working, you can then go fire up the engine that runs the water pump. Get it running and warmed up, then engage the pump and away you go...

Thank god we didn't have to move them a lot. Usually once a week on one set, and every week and a half on the other during the growing season.

Looking back on it now...those were fun times.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Looking back on it now...those were fun times.
    My mind started to wander about a few things I did in the past that as memories are now looked upon differently. Good post.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB