Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chess A Pipesmoker's Game

Real Name
    Arvind
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Thanks Arvind - there were many times I wanted to quit doing them. I found the 'small' detailed work quite frustrating so there will be no encore when these are finished. I will stick to HO model railroad diorama from now on.

Anthony I'd heard of that rubber trick and paid no attention to it before. It works, I get about double the service maybe a bit more. I wonder when my wife will want her running shoe back.
    Bill, how you arrived on doing this ? I highly respect this hand carving & the hands which does these. Maybe an inspiration ? At what age did you start trying & after how many years did you start getting returns? I mean, how long did that take for you to master in this carving ?

Nice interesting things going on here
    Best regards,
    Arvind.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Anthony I'd heard of that rubber trick and paid no attention to it before. It works, I get about double the service maybe a bit more. I wonder when my wife will want her running shoe back.
    Good to hear, Bill. You'll get the most use from the paper if you unload it before it gets completely bogged. I do it as soon as I start to notice a difference in the feel of the glide.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Bill, how you arrived on doing this ?
    note the piece of paper on the base of the pawn with line markings of where to cut.

This is the first time I've tried small work like this. When I started 'flatwork' woodworking old pros taught me quickly that it's all about jigs, particularly for repetition work. Well these were all about templates. At first I just glued them to two sides and started hacking out wood. The first two were uneven and became seconds (or firsts if I decided I had no more patience). So I put templates on all sides glued with white glue. Dremel drilled rows of small holes just proud of the lines and then I used the small sharpened screw driver to peel away the wood. finished with knives and then lots and lots of sanding.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Bill, I'm impressed wit Ye abilities fer the fine details. I personally think the pipe and chess goes together like bread n butter, or fish n chips, er better yet the olde man n the sea... but, alas, I 'ave no avenue to play the game as I know of no man 'ere in the south that knows the game.... Been bout 45 yrs since I played and do on occasion miss the challenge.

I likes the idea bout the clear varnish, which will add a nice warm colour to the "White" pieces, maybe a nice walnut stain to the "Black"! Wot e're Ye choice I'm sure 'twill be a grand set once Ye be done.

Keep postin them enchanted images as Ye go!!
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Joseph
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Beautiful Bill! I really like the colour of the pine, I'd favour a clear lacquer myself. Or at most, a very light stain.

^^^This^^^ Fantastic work Bill!
    How'd I get in here?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123