Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in your pipe? June 2018

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Huub Hendrikx View Post
    J.F. Germain's Hampton Flake in one of my Tsuge Fatboy's.
    This is my last tin of that excellent flake.
    Back in the old days, that tobacco was one of two, that could make me break into a sweat, if the conditions were right, or wrong as it may be. The other one was St. Bruno.
    I'd really like to taste 'Hampton Flake' again, it also goes by the name 'Rich Dark Flake', but I haven't been able to find it under either name. The hunt continues.

Great little pibe, Huub.

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,
    Tomorrow I'm leaving for a five-day trip to Bilbao/Spain with the nine-pin bowling group.
    Markus
    Have a great trip, Markus.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

So Here's the dilemma: Just what is the etiquette for opening an 11 year old tin?

Well you know it will be the start of the last of it if you do open it. If you don't open it, it will be on your mind until you do open it. So I decided I would open it some day before I die. That was today.

GLP Filmore has the typical VaPer aroma on opening the tin, quite fruity but with a little something deeper in it. The flakes are broken to tin them but they are very tidily stacked and could be put together again like a puzzle. They are thick 2+mm but very soft and the tin retained every bit of moisture it had when packed. The flakes are dark in colour and flue cured no doubt as well as nicely aged. I smoked it in a meerschaum with a large bowl and I thought after awhile that it tasted a bit like a milder FVF with Perique. Not as strong but a similar rich taste with the exception of the oriental VAs in FVF. Strengthwise here's my take on the VaPers I've smoked, strongest tobacco first: St James Flake, Filmore, Dunbar, McC 2015, Bayou Morning.

4 pipes of GLP Filmore today, a very nice smoke. Last in an Il Ceppo

IlCeppo3.jpg
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Strengthwise here's my take on the VaPers I've smoked, strongest tobacco first: St James Flake, Filmore, Dunbar, McC 2015, Bayou Morning.
    Bill, can you be more specific about the meaning of "strength"? I'm always confused when I see the word used in reviews because I'm not sure whether the reviewer is referring to flavor, nicotine or something else.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

So Here's the dilemma: Just what is the etiquette for opening an 11 year old tin?
    You could start with a press release. That Filmore sounds delicious!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good Evening, Gentlemen! I just finished up cruising the headlines and the science news. Currently smoking my last bowl of the day, OGS, in the Don Carlos. Still have some coffee on the side.

Update: The NY Yankees are playing the Washington D.C. Nationals @ 7:00pm ET. I'll be watching!
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 06-13-2018 at 21:48.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Bill, can you be more specific about the meaning of "strength"? I'm always confused when I see the word used in reviews because I'm not sure whether the reviewer is referring to flavor, nicotine or something else.
    I mean full and diverse flavours delivered based on tobacco curing as well as component.. Example I'll probably get smacked for this but ODF to me is monochrome single taste. Lots of curing here but flavour wise it is hugely lacking to me. Wouldn't classify as strong to me. In the case of my rankings it would mean more Perique as well. So strong full taste. PS LNF would be mild and in last place. Do I make sense?
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I mean full and diverse flavours delivered based on tobacco curing as well as component.. Example I'll probably get smacked for this but ODF to me is monochrome single taste. Lots of curing here but flavour wise it is hugely lacking to me. Wouldn't classify as strong to me. In the case of my rankings it would mean more Perique as well. So strong full taste. PS LNF would be mild and in last place. Do I make sense?
    Absolutely. Thanks, Bill. I happen to be in complete agreement with you about ODF as well. However, I do think that it plays that one note reeeeally well and it develops a little nuance with a bit of age.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks
    ...to the topTop

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That does make sense Bill, and I see where youíre coming from. But I have to admit I donít see any way that Dunbar is stronger than Bayou Morning. But hey thatís what makes a ball game right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

True Billy but the difference there is in the Va's to me. But you would be right about that.
    ...to the topTop

Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast