Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Guide to American OTCs Based Solely On My Personal Opinion

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    My apology for the ignorance.. what do you mean with the term OTC (over the counter).. ?
    No apologies necessary, ludwig. It simply means that the tobacco is available from retail stores, like drugstores, grocery stores, etc., instead of requiring a trip to the tobacconist or an online order. The phrase originates from medicines that are available from the pharmacy. If the medicine requires a physician's prescription, it is said to be "behind the counter" (meaning the pharmacist's counter). Whereas, if you can get it without a prescription, it's "over the counter". The drugstores here used to carry a lot of tobacco products (some still do). So, I suppose that's how the relationship was made.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Brightening explanation .. thank you ! .. in old Italy we don't have this opportunity... tobacco is sold only by tobacconist,.. anyother sells is black marker.. punishable with 100 slashes..

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

I liked Carter Hall when I first had it, not so much when I had it later. SWR mixes very well with Latakia blends, worth giving it a try if you haven't yet. Finally, Prince Albert strongly reminds me of peppermint and chocolate, a flavour I know from thin square shaped chocolates called After Eight here in Germany. I wonder if anyone else gets this from PA.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

I liked Carter Hall when I first had it, not so much when I had it later. SWR mixes very well with Latakia blends, worth giving it a try if you haven't yet. Finally, Prince Albert strongly reminds me of peppermint and chocolate, a flavour I know from thin square shaped chocolates called After Eight here in Germany. I wonder if anyone else gets this from PA.

Best wishes
    Markus
    I haven't tried SWR and Lat. I'll have to give that a shot. I do like a healthy dose (about 20% or so) of Perique added to some Half and Half though.

As for the PA, I definitely get the chocolate, but no peppermint at all. That's how it goes though. Taste is a completely subjective thing. Genetics and your own tasting experiences have a lot to do with it. For example, whenever I smoke C&D's Autumn Evening, I always get a faint but noticeable note of cucumber peel. It turns me off at times, but I've never heard anyone else mention it. So, I assume that it's just me.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123