Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipe Tools Question

PSU Member Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Pipe Tools Question

I asked Pandyboy, Beall Tool Company and rebornpipes about pipe tools and I want members to check my list of pipe tools for what to add, remove or replace with better tools.

Pipes

• Missouri Meerschaum Huck Finn Corn Cob Pipe
    • Mark Tinsky Unique Bent 935
    • Mark Tinsky Unique Bent 963
    • Mark Tinsky Unique Bent 906
    • Pipe Bits

Pipe Stands

• Metal Folding Pipe Stands

Cleaning and Buffing Tools

• BJ Long Regular Pipe Cleaners
    • BJ Long Bristle Pipe Cleaners
    • Cotton Swab
    • Kleen Reem Pipe Tool
    • PIPNET Pipe Reamer
    • Savinelli Fitsall Pipe Reamer
    • Isopropyl Alcohol
    • OxiClean
    • Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
    • Micro-Mesh 2" x 2" Soft Touch Pads
    • Safety Works PRO Multi-Purpose Respirator, Full Facepiece
    • Safety Works PRO Multi-Purpose Respirator Replacement Cartridges
    • Foredom Red Rouge Bar
    • Beall Tool Tripoli Bar
    • Beall Tool White Diamond Bar
    • Beall Tool Carnauba Wax Bar (T1)
    • Beall Tool 8" Wax Wheel with Hardware (Each)
    • Beall Tool 8" White Diamond Wheel with Hardware (Each)
    • 2x Beall Tool 8" Tripoli Wheel with Hardware (Each)
    • 1/3 HP 1725 RPM 220 V 56 Frame Motor
    • Beall Tool Buffing Mandrel Extension
    • Beall Tool Buffing Combination Adaptor
    • Beall Tool #2 Morse Taper Adaptor
    • Cleaning Rag

Storage

• Ball Collection Elite Wide Mouth Half-Pint 8 oz. Glass Mason Jars

Humidifier

• Boveda 8 Gram 65% RH 10-Pack

Pipe Case

• Alfred Dunhill's The White Spot 1 Pipe Combo Pouch (I want to go with customised Pelican case instead since Pelican is airtight and much cheaper)

Pipe Tool

• Czech Pipe Tool

Pipe Lighter

• IM Corona Old Boy Pipe lighter
    • Triple Refined Butane
    • Plastic Paper Clip
    • Compressed Gas Duster

Pipe Ashtray

• Empty Pipe Tobacco Tin
    • Cork Knocker

P.S.

What is the best wood lining for pipes (and tray layout for customising case)? For cigars, I am definitely go with Spanish Cedar but it does not match with pipe tobacco since it absorbs other smells. Also, what is the best place to buy motors for bench grinding (looking for 1/3 HP 1725 RPM 220 V 56 Frame Motor)?
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 06-05-2018 at 04:08.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

That's some list, Kim! I can't help you out on the buffing equipment, but I'm sure there are members here who will. I take it that you like Mark Tinsky's pipes? As for the tobacco tin ashtray and cork knocker, I'm with you there. I use the same thing for ashtrays. They're simple, cheap, and do the job just fine.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    That's some list, Kim! I can't help you out on the buffing equipment, but I'm sure there are members here who will. I take it that you like Mark Tinsky's pipes? As for the tobacco tin ashtray and cork knocker, I'm with you there. I use the same thing for ashtrays. They're simple, cheap, and do the job just fine.
    To me, Tinsky's pipes are great looking custom briar pipes to me (cheap yet wonderful as Dunhill's). Agree with you that using empty pipe tobacco tin as ashtray with cork knocker does a job as same as ashtray but cheaper (FOH member who also smokes pipes recommended me to do that ).

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Kim, but in my opinion, you are trying to get in far too deeply for someone that has never even tried a pipe. My advice would be to keep things simple at first and let your experience guide you as you progress. For myself, I started pipe smoking with two corn cob pipes, two packs of pipe cleaners, a disposable lighter, a Czech tool, and three tobaccos. That's it. So, I've revised your list with my advice below.

Pipes
    Get any pipe you like

Pipe Stands
    Anything that will keep the pipe from tipping over when you put it down. Metal, plastic, wood,.. doesn't matter.

BJ Long Regular Pipe Cleaners
    Cotton Swab
    Castleford Pipe Reamer
    Decatur Pipe Knife or Rodgers Pipe Knife
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Microfiber cloth
    Jeweler's cloth (for polishing metal)

Storage
    Any screw-top jar with a two-piece lid

Humidifier
    Unnecessary for pipe tobacco

Pipe Tool
    Czech Pipe Tool

Pipe Lighter
    Matches
    Cheap disposable lighters (like Bic or Clipper)

Pipe Ashtray
    Empty Pipe Tobacco Tin
    Cork Knocker

You'll notice that I didn't include any recommendations for buffing, estate cleaning or a pipe case. I have a few questions first...

Are you planning to start refurbishing estate pipes? If so, do you plan to do this as a hobby? Do you have any previous experience with antiques (cleaning, refinishing, polishing, etc.)?

Do you need a storage case for your home or is this something that you will be taking with you on the road? Do you frequently travel? If so, how long is a typical trip?
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm at the other end of the scale from what you are planning Kim. All I have is a few Falcon/Alco pipes and a couple of briars, a Swiss Army knife, a few cheap clipper lighters, some mason jars plus some pipe cleaners when I can get them....and that's about it.

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, Kim, but in my opinion, you are trying to get in far too deeply for someone that has never even tried a pipe. My advice would be to keep things simple at first and let your experience guide you as you progress. For myself, I started pipe smoking with two corn cob pipes, two packs of pipe cleaners, a disposable lighter, a Czech tool, and three tobaccos. That's it. So, I've revised your list with my advice below.

Pipes
    Get any pipe you like

Pipe Stands
    Anything that will keep the pipe from tipping over when you put it down. Metal, plastic, wood,.. doesn't matter.

BJ Long Regular Pipe Cleaners
    Cotton Swab
    Castleford Pipe Reamer
    Decatur Pipe Knife or Rodgers Pipe Knife
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Microfiber cloth
    Jeweler's cloth (for polishing metal)

Storage
    Any screw-top jar with a two-piece lid

Humidifier
    Unnecessary for pipe tobacco

Pipe Tool
    Czech Pipe Tool

Pipe Lighter
    Matches
    Cheap disposable lighters (like Bic or Clipper)

Pipe Ashtray
    Empty Pipe Tobacco Tin
    Cork Knocker

You'll notice that I didn't include any recommendations for buffing, estate cleaning or a pipe case. I have a few questions first...

Are you planning to start refurbishing estate pipes? If so, do you plan to do this as a hobby? Do you have any previous experience with antiques (cleaning, refinishing, polishing, etc.)?

Do you need a storage case for your home or is this something that you will be taking with you on the road? Do you frequently travel? If so, how long is a typical trip?
    Forgot to say that I would stick with corn cob pipes for at least six months as beginning!! I am considering pipe as hobby alongside with cigars and will move deeper after get used to pipes with corn cobs.

For pipe case, I am just using idea from my cigar project (travel cigar case).

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a great list and some great answers.

For cobs I would recommend anything with a hardwood plug. They're a tad bit higher in price but we're only talking a couple of bucks. Something like a Country Gent or Diplomat, which come in different shapes. I like the Apples. With a hardwood plug I find the bottom of the bowl stays dryer and doesn't get that soggy bottom.

Cork knockers are great, but the palm of your hand works just as well and has the upside of always being at your side. For a tamper you could always use a nail or a golf tee. I have a Czech tool but it stays on the cabinet mostly, and the little spoon comes in handy for opening tins. I always have a pocket knife and a golf tee in my pocket.

My advice is to not go overboard on pipes and accessories to start with, but explore the different types of tobacco first. The pipes and accessories won't be going away any time soon. Who knows about the baccy.

I have two Mark Tinsky pipes. Got this one a few years ago for Father's Day.

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I'm at the other end of the scale from what you are planning Kim. All I have is a few Falcon/Alco pipes and a couple of briars, a Swiss Army knife, a few cheap clipper lighters, some mason jars plus some pipe cleaners when I can get them....and that's about it.
    Interesting to see!!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur View Post
    Forgot to say that I would stick with corn cob pipes for at least six months as beginning!! I am considering pipe as hobby alongside with cigars and will move deeper after get used to pipes with corn cobs.

For pipe case, I am just using idea from my cigar project (travel cigar case).
    I'm sorry, Kim. My question was unclear. I was asking if you plan to refurbish estate pipes as a hobby/business. If not, all of the buffing equipment is completely unnecessary for routine maintenance. The majority of the gentlemen here don't have one. In fact, most of the guys here don't have half of what you've listed and they've been smoking a pipe for decades.

Even if you are planning to refurbish estate pipes, I would still advise against a buffer at first unless you have some wood working, machining or antique restoration experience. The single most common type of damage that I see in "restored" pipes was caused by improper and overzealous buffing. When you're starting out, it's best to stay away from anything with a motor. Learn to work by hand to get the feel for it before you invest in power tools.

As for the case, if it's for travel, then you certainly want a soft liner like foam. You don't want the pipes rattling around in wooden containers. They'll only get scuffed and chipped.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Kim, but in my opinion, you are trying to get in far too deeply for someone that has never even tried a pipe. My advice would be to keep things simple at first and let your experience guide you as you progress. For myself, I started pipe smoking with two corn cob pipes, two packs of pipe cleaners, a disposable lighter, a Czech tool, and three tobaccos. That's it. So, I've revised your list with my advice below
    +1 Anthony

That's a good plan until you find out first what tobaccos you like and second the types of pipes you would like. Buy 3 or 4 tobaccos of different blends. You will find that very few pipe tobaccos taste like cigars. I think when you get started you may even reduce your cigar consumption when you discover the broad spectrum of pipe flavours.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast