Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipe Tools Question

PSU Member Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    +1 Anthony

That's a good plan until you find out first what tobaccos you like and second the types of pipes you would like. Buy 3 or 4 tobaccos of different blends. You will find that very few pipe tobaccos taste like cigars. I think when you get started you may even reduce your cigar consumption when you discover the broad spectrum of pipe flavours.
    To be honest, my cigar consumption is one cigar per month (sometimes more than month but never less than one month) which is surprisingly low compared to others. I think I will take turns by each months for pipes and cigars.

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I'm sorry, Kim. My question was unclear. I was asking if you plan to refurbish estate pipes as a hobby/business. If not, all of the buffing equipment is completely unnecessary for routine maintenance. The majority of the gentlemen here don't have one. In fact, most of the guys here don't have half of what you've listed and they've been smoking a pipe for decades.

Even if you are planning to refurbish estate pipes, I would still advise against a buffer at first unless you have some wood working, machining or antique restoration experience. The single most common type of damage that I see in "restored" pipes was caused by improper and overzealous buffing. When you're starting out, it's best to stay away from anything with a motor. Learn to work by hand to get the feel for it before you invest in power tools.

As for the case, if it's for travel, then you certainly want a soft liner like foam. You don't want the pipes rattling around in wooden containers. They'll only get scuffed and chipped.
    For estate pipes, I am not sure whether I decide to consider as hobby yet (never thought that too). I will take your word to my mind as advice.

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    That's a great list and some great answers.

For cobs I would recommend anything with a hardwood plug. They're a tad bit higher in price but we're only talking a couple of bucks. Something like a Country Gent or Diplomat, which come in different shapes. I like the Apples. With a hardwood plug I find the bottom of the bowl stays dryer and doesn't get that soggy bottom.

Cork knockers are great, but the palm of your hand works just as well and has the upside of always being at your side. For a tamper you could always use a nail or a golf tee. I have a Czech tool but it stays on the cabinet mostly, and the little spoon comes in handy for opening tins. I always have a pocket knife and a golf tee in my pocket.

My advice is to not go overboard on pipes and accessories to start with, but explore the different types of tobacco first. The pipes and accessories won't be going away any time soon. Who knows about the baccy.

I have two Mark Tinsky pipes. Got this one a few years ago for Father's Day.

Thanks! I will consider it as beginning pipe collection!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur View Post
    To be honest, my cigar consumption is one cigar per month (sometimes more than month but never less than one month) which is surprisingly low compared to others. I think I will take turns by each months for pipes and cigars.
    There was a time I had a stogie stuck in my jaw all day long while I worked. Pipes were for relaxing afterwards, in the evenings, weekends, and days off. I haven't smoked cigars regularly in a long time but every now and then I get a hankering. I'll buy a single from the smokeshop but it doesn't satisfy and I usually don't even finish it.

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    There was a time I had a stogie stuck in my jaw all day long while I worked. Pipes were for relaxing afterwards, in the evenings, weekends, and days off. I haven't smoked cigars regularly in a long time but every now and then I get a hankering. I'll buy a single from the smokeshop but it doesn't satisfy and I usually don't even finish it.
    Surprise to see! Maybe I myself ended up with having both cigars and pipes like Pandyboy IMHO (depends on mood maybe??).

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

I am just found that camera bag can be used as pipe case too (http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...gs-Show-n-Tell)!! What is the best camera bag for carrying pipes?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur View Post
    Interesting to see!!
    Not really.

For me that's the nice thing about this forum. It doesn't matter what size of pipe or tobacco collection you have we all get along fine.

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Not really.

For me that's the nice thing about this forum. It doesn't matter what size of pipe or tobacco collection you have we all get along fine.
    Yes! This is a reason why the forum exists for, share and getting know each other (I always post cigar review on forum and my blog) !!!
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 06-05-2018 at 16:46.

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Have to agree with everything Anthony (piffyr) said. Don't go nuts with extraneous stuff until you decide what you like and want - pipes, tobaccos and just how much fiddling you want to do. Enjoy the smoking and don't overcomplicate at first.
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowroll View Post
    Have to agree with everything Anthony (piffyr) said. Don't go nuts with extraneous stuff until you decide what you like and want - pipes, tobaccos and just how much fiddling you want to do. Enjoy the smoking and don't overcomplicate at first.
    Agreed! Honestly, I took one year half months to make a cigar tools plan !! I will take a time to enjoy pipes and tobaccos step by step!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast