Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glynn Quelch: "Something interesting is about to happen..."

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Glynn Quelch: "Something interesting is about to happen..."

From Facebook:

COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR & RESTORATION

fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Hmmmm….we may have to call in The Inspector in order to find out.

Another Maigret.jpg
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

slowly I turned step by step.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The reveal:

Its been well over a year since GQ Blends stopped being produced. As much as i love having my hands in a bowl of tobacco mixing it up, its something i can no longer do (this part hasn't changed).
    So rather than me having to scrape black cavendish from under my nails, why not experience all the fun for yourselves!
    GQ Tobaccos will soon be selling "Blend It Yourself Kits" of many of the GQ Blends range. The tobacco will come packed inside the same 50g pouches i sold the blends in and inside you will get several packs of tobaccos.
    All you need to do is;
    * Empty them out into a mixing bowl
    * Mix it
    * Mix it some more
    * Then a bit more
    * Finally put back in the large pouch to sit and marry for a few weeks
    * Smoke it, cellar it, trade and just don't eat it (tobacco isn't nice to eat, trust me!)
    Eventually we plan on bringing back most of the blends, but logistically its not doable from the word go, so the first blends to be re-released are as follows
    Breakfast Blend
    Chocolate & Vanilla
    Askwith Mixture (you can always make your own press!)
    Swamp Flower
    Clementines Nip
    We are hoping these will be on sale early to mid next week. I will let you all know as soon as they are on GQTobaccos.com for purchase.

GQ BIY kits.jpg
    Last edited by jimbo44; 06-07-2018 at 12:58.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great news indeed, especially if they ship to the US.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Great news indeed, especially if they ship to the US.
    They don't.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    The reveal:

Its been well over a year since GQ Blends stopped being produced. As much as i love having my hands in a bowl of tobacco mixing it up, its something i can no longer do (this part hasn't changed).
    So rather than me having to scrape black cavendish from under my nails, why not experience all the fun for yourselves!
    GQ Tobaccos will soon be selling "Blend It Yourself Kits" of many of the GQ Blends range. The tobacco will come packed inside the same 50g pouches i sold the blends in and inside you will get several packs of tobaccos.
    All you need to do is;
    * Empty them out into a mixing bowl
    * Mix it
    * Mix it some more
    * Then a bit more
    * Finally put back in the large pouch to sit and marry for a few weeks
    * Smoke it, cellar it, trade and just don't eat it (tobacco isn't nice to eat, trust me!)
    Eventually we plan on bringing back most of the blends, but logistically its not doable from the word go, so the first blends to be re-released are as follows
    Breakfast Blend
    Chocolate & Vanilla
    Askwith Mixture (you can always make your own press!)
    Swamp Flower
    Clementines Nip
    We are hoping these will be on sale early to mid next week. I will let you all know as soon as they are on GQTobaccos.com for purchase.

While this sounds good at first, after thinking about it, I am wondering how much room in the 50 gm. pouch the various individual bags of tobacco will take up? If there are only a couple of different tobaccos, then probably no harm, but if there are several, the bagging material might take up more space than the just the blended batch would.

Also, the more I think about it, the more that this method may not recreate the same outcome that comes from large batch mixes.

Say a large batch mix has 3 types of tobacco, say Type A, B, and C. Type A is 1 kg, B is .5 kg, and C is .1 kg (C is some really strong stuff) for a total of 1.6 kg (3.527 lbs). Blended together the homogenization will work out. The larger amounts of various tobaccos will be blended more evenly the longer it is blended.

But now you are going to shrink it down to 50 grams. that means that A will require 31.25 gm (1.1 oz), B needs 15.625 gm (0.55 oz), and C needs 3.125 gm (0.11 oz).

Now I could be totally off base as I have never (seriously) blended any tobaccos to make a "new" blend, other than mixing together a couple of aros that I didn't have enough to really make a good pipe full of either and didn't want to waste them. But I am thinking that the small quantities of each tobacco will be hard to measure out except on a precision scale leading to possible overage or underage of quantity, which in turn will not create a true blend of the tobacco. At least not as true a blend as you get in a larger batch scenario. Say you get only 28 grams of A and 6 grams of C? That will totally throw the blend off. And the more types or tobacco you add to the mix, the smaller and smaller the individual weights will be.

Again, I could be batting from left field on this, but it just made me thing about mixing paint...in some just a drop or two of tint can throw off the color of an entire gallon of paint, why not in a tobacco blending process?

Sorry to be long winded on this...it just popped into my head when I read the post and got me to thinking.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Well, the packaging will not matter, as packaging is never weighed, only your tobacco gets weighed, just like your groceries. No companies weigh packaging. So if you're getting 50 grams of tobacco you can easily have an 80gram or whatever size package show up. A 2 ounce tin doesn't weight 2 ounces, ok I think you get my drift.

I am very excited about Swamp Flower and Askwith Mixture. I damn sure would make a press, however I have to figure out how it's getting to me :)

My home blending experience is limited to table scraps. Whatever is left on the cutting board gets scraped up and stuffed in a cob. And I've got a jar that contains my Heinz 57 blend that houses just about anything. I don't like to waste anything so if I'm unsure what to do with a little tobacco, it gets dumped in the Heinz jar.

C&D had a blending kit where you got various tobacco, flavoring, and other items like suggested recipes.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco...duct_id=206146

What's nice about this from GQ is you'd basically be getting some of Glynn's recipes. Once people get these I foresee some sourcing their own leaf and going to town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast